Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Calling in Elk

Re: Calling in Elk

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    I'm about to head out with some friends in the west koots starting this Friday. Hopefully we can find a dumb one with 6pts
    Have fun out there and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermonster View Post
    Have fun out there and good luck!
    Thanks. Managed to get it done with a friend.

http://imgur.com/gallery/kt5Aari

I signed up for Elk101 online and found it really helpful. Not just the calling but lots of valuable information in there.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Elk can be frustrating. Each situation is different. A lot of times a bull will round up his cows and push them away from you. He may come back to see if he can grab some of yours once he has his a safe distance from you, or he may just keep going. If you get right in on him, he knows he lost his opportunity to run and you will have a better chance at getting him in. As a general rule, If I hear a bull elk answer, or call, I try to get within 200 yards of him without callingback. Once he answers, don't waste any time closing the distance. I usually don't even try to be quiet. Get in his face and call again. If he answers, call right over top of him. (put some hours in on learning to call. I think this is where a lot of elk hunters are lacking.) You want to sound like a medium bull for best results. I'd try a double reed for that. Always play the wind too. If it is wrong, you already lost. Back out and come back later. Good luck this year. Keep at it and you will be successful. I hope to see some pics of your bull this year.
    learned something there thanks

just posted this in another thread but it might be more applicable here...

It was quiet where we hunted. My friend and I got our 6 pt bull last Saturday. 14.5km day including approach, kill and packout. They were quiet and they were up high. We had to go get him. We found fresh sign and I speculated on where he was bedded. It was an hour hike through a basin and across scree to get into position for my first bugle. He answered right away.

He bugled and chuckled in response to my bugle and chuckle. We started towards him. 4 mins later it was another bugle and chuckle at him. I had concerns he was trying to gather cows and run so I ran at him to the ridge above him. Bugle, chuckle, rake. He seemed to hold up and was growly screaming back. We then dropped down into his bedding area. I stopped halfway down slope. Sent my partner another 1/4 way down the slope. Rake, bugle and chuckle. In came the bull and my buddy shot him at 10 yds. I was about 35-40 yds above him watching it all play out. EPIC!

Moral of the story. Find fresh sign. Develop a plan. Get to a spot where you can bugle that is different from the last 30 bugles he has heard from other people. If you get a reply you need to know what he is saying. Know if he is gathering and running or know if he is holding up. Pressure him. You don't need to bugle every 30 secs when you have him going.

Our bull was dead in about 15 mins from first bugle to last. I stopped in 4 different spots as we closed distance quickly.

Obviously not all situations are the same, but that's how mine played out. My bull last year was very similar, but I was making gathering/locating calls. I called from 3 different spots over a 15-20 min timeline. I heard him the night before and I copied his call. I actually ran away from him when I was calling as it sounded like I was gathering his cows. I killed that bull oct 19th at approx. 10 yds. He walked broadside in front of me facing downside off the FSR looking for the possible cows I was dragging away.

Be strategic. I haven't had a dumb one come in during peak rut with a hot cow where I just called and he ran at me. Looking forward to that day though. My 2 bulls have require me to be a bit more active.

this is the bull:

Thanks. Managed to get it done with a friend.

Congrats man!! That’s a beautiful bull. And the fun started after that pic was taken

just posted this in another thread but it might be more applicable here...

It was quiet where we hunted. My friend and I got our 6 pt bull last Saturday. 14.5km day including approach, kill and packout. They were quiet and they were up high. We had to go get him. We found fresh sign and I speculated on where he was bedded. It was an hour hike through a basin and across scree to get into position for my first bugle. He answered right away.

He bugled and chuckled in response to my bugle and chuckle. We started towards him. 4 mins later it was another bugle and chuckle at him. I had concerns he was trying to gather cows and run so I ran at him to the ridge above him. Bugle, chuckle, rake. He seemed to hold up and was growly screaming back. We then dropped down into his bedding area. I stopped halfway down slope. Sent my partner another 1/4 way down the slope. Rake, bugle and chuckle. In came the bull and my buddy shot him at 10 yds. I was about 35-40 yds above him watching it all play out. EPIC!

Moral of the story. Find fresh sign. Develop a plan. Get to a spot where you can bugle that is different from the last 30 bugles he has heard from other people. If you get a reply you need to know what he is saying. Know if he is gathering and running or know if he is holding up. Pressure him. You don't need to bugle every 30 secs when you have him going.

Our bull was dead in about 15 mins from first bugle to last. I stopped in 4 different spots as we closed distance quickly.

Obviously not all situations are the same, but that's how mine played out. My bull last year was very similar, but I was making gathering/locating calls. I called from 3 different spots over a 15-20 min timeline. I heard him the night before and I copied his call. I actually ran away from him when I was calling as it sounded like I was gathering his cows. I killed that bull oct 19th at approx. 10 yds. He walked broadside in front of me facing downside off the FSR looking for the possible cows I was dragging away.

Be strategic. I haven't had a dumb one come in during peak rut with a hot cow where I just called and he ran at me. Looking forward to that day though. My 2 bulls have require me to be a bit more active.

this is the bull:

Thanks for the story!! Great job on going after him and getting it done. Hard when they’re quiet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermonster View Post
    Congrats man!! That’s a beautiful bull. And the fun started after that pic was taken
    Thanks a lot! Managed to get another elk with my friend on Sunday. Another hard pack out. He was a big 8x7. Managed to pull him and his cow out of their bed right into my friend's crosshairs.

You are definitely right, the TYPE 2 fun started after the pics were taken. two hard packouts in 8 days was tough on the body!

Thanks a lot! Managed to get another elk with my friend on Sunday. Another hard pack out. He was a big 8x7. Managed to pull him and his cow out of their bed right into my friend's crosshairs.

You are definitely right, the TYPE 2 fun started after the pics were taken. two hard packouts in 8 days was tough on the body!
    The other bull is a beauty any pics of this one. Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    The other bull is a beauty any pics of this one. Congrats
    Cheers.

Here is bull #2
    8x7 https://imgur.com/gallery/4sY9PJ5