Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling in Elk

Calling in Elk

Hello HBC’ers. I’m looking for some tips from all the experienced hunters on here. I’ve hunted for over 30 years but I’m still fairly new to Elk hunting and learning as I go. I’ve been elk hunting for the last 5 years and wanted to ask you guys about what you suggest works best in our BC mountains for locating elk, and eventually calling in the bulls. (Other than glassing)

I’m not a road hunter (no offence if you are, all good by me) but I mostly hike in, glass, and put miles on the boots.

I have tried bugling and cow calling and was able to get a few bulls to respond to me but still haven’t been able to get one to come in close enough for a shot. I’ve hunted most of September for them, and it may just be me but I find they’re bugling less and less every year.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Calling in Elk

Once you hear the bull stick to cow calling chirps and very, very slowly head in the direction of the bull. Two different cow calls work best and even a hand held call and mouth call at the same time.

I find that when I get a response close the distance as quickly and quietly as possible. If I can get within 100 yards or so that is great. At this point I lik a challenge bugle but cow calls can also work. I keep working closer and closer to the bull.

Elk can be frustrating. Each situation is different. A lot of times a bull will round up his cows and push them away from you. He may come back to see if he can grab some of yours once he has his a safe distance from you, or he may just keep going. If you get right in on him, he knows he lost his opportunity to run and you will have a better chance at getting him in. As a general rule, If I hear a bull elk answer, or call, I try to get within 200 yards of him without callingback. Once he answers, don't waste any time closing the distance. I usually don't even try to be quiet. Get in his face and call again. If he answers, call right over top of him. (put some hours in on learning to call. I think this is where a lot of elk hunters are lacking.) You want to sound like a medium bull for best results. I'd try a double reed for that. Always play the wind too. If it is wrong, you already lost. Back out and come back later. Good luck this year. Keep at it and you will be successful. I hope to see some pics of your bull this year.

This guy, Paul medel, listen to his info, download the elk nut app.
    Listen to this pod cast , “the rich outdoors”episodes 158, 193, 260.
    we started listening to him last year, got our first elk sept 1 2019, today we blew our chances when calling because we weren’t patient enough. Tomorrow am I’m headed out early again.

There is no perfect answer. Keep downwind and things will come together for you.

Called in a bull with twisted non-typical bone. Was above him and he came up into the small barren basin below. He was calling back, and I bugled over top of him a few times. He was pissed. He beat up a small alder tree then pushed it over and he fell over. I bugled while he was struggling to regain his feet. He started to twirl around like a dog chasing his tail. Wouldn't want to be too near him.
    This was in the Flathead . . . early 6point+ season. He wasn't legal at that time. Later saw him in the back of a pick-up truck in Elko.
    Such is elk hunting . . .

Use a location bugle. Find the bull head his way with a few cow calls. Once you get in tight you can cow call or hit him with a challenge bugle. Tons of youtube to learn from for elk calling tactics

Another senario that has worked for me you might want to try.
    I do this with a buddy.Find a narrow valley with slide shutes coming down the hill then have your friend go across the valley above the creek and up the hill a couple hundred yards and you go up the hill quite a ways on your side.When in position early in the morning you do a bugle.A little while later your hunting partner bugles.Work your way up the valley and do another call every few hundred yards.Your buddy does the same but stays lower in the valley.
    If there are any elk in the valley you will definately get get their attention.If the elk don't respond you will probably see lots of sign or them moving about.Don't be afraid to bugle even in their bedding areas where it can be very thick.This is often where we get lots of action at very close range.
    Along the slide shute edges is also a great area to bugle as we have had bulls step out onto the slide a bugle a challenge.Sometimes this is where you can make your shot if you are ready.Be in position to shoot before you call.Sometimes things happen fast.
    It is nice to have a buddy with you as when you shoot an elk in these type of locations it is a lot of packing to get back to camp.
    Good luck.