Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Allure Of Switching Spots; Pre-Season Uncertainty

Re: The Allure Of Switching Spots; Pre-Season Uncertainty

I know that feeling too well, I think most of us do. Try to ignore it if your homework has shown there are deer there, just hold tight and stick to the plan. My biggest deer was near the last day of a 10 day hunt. I knew there was a big deer frequenting the area. It was damn cold in December and my brain wanted me to question my spot and move and I kept wondering if I should move (I was still hunting down from a well travelled game trail). I ignored my brain on that one and it proved to be a very good decision in the long run.

Its always kind of a crapshoot. Enjoy it.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Shannaleri,

We can all relate, trust me. Totally agree with weatherby man above.

There is forever the feeling that "if only I was one valley over, I would see more game". One of the things I remind myself is I remember reading that on average, a BC hunter cancels their mule deer tag 1 in 4 years. Yes, there are many hunters who are really experienced and have no problems finding a deer year after year, but I'd bet for each of the these hunters there are 15 regular Joe's who rarely connect and don't post on this forum. My 2 man hunting group is 3 for 9, 3 deer in 9 years. We suck by a lot of guys standards on this forum or perhaps our location is sub-standard, but I tell you what; we've relished every deer we've taken and enjoyed every bite, AND most importantly: we've loved every day we've been able to sleep outside in the fall while having to wake up in the middle of the night add wood to the stove.

Consideration also has to be given to the old 80/20 rule whereby 80% of game holds on 20% of the mountain adage and you may have a dud of a location, but.. if you've seen sign, you have nearby water, you have feed.. you probably just need time in that location to connect the dots! For what it's worth, I always see the most deer when I hunker down against a tree with a good sight line and the wind at my face. We'll just sit out the afternoon in a location we've narrowed down to be a high probability of seeing deer move through it. Some days there's movement, many days there are not.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson017 View Post
    Shannaleri,

We can all relate, trust me. Totally agree with weatherby man above.

There is forever the feeling that "if only I was one valley over, I would see more game". One of the things I remind myself is I remember reading that on average, a BC hunter cancels their mule deer tag 1 in 4 years. Yes, there are many hunters who are really experienced and have no problems finding a deer year after year, but I'd bet for each of the these hunters there are 15 regular Joe's who rarely connect and don't post on this forum. My 2 man hunting group is 3 for 9, 3 deer in 9 years. We suck by a lot of guys standards on this forum or perhaps our location is sub-standard, but I tell you what; we've relished every deer we've taken and enjoyed every bite, AND most importantly: we've loved every day we've been able to sleep outside in the fall while having to wake up in the middle of the night add wood to the stove.

Consideration also has to be given to the old 80/20 rule whereby 80% of game holds on 20% of the mountain adage and you may have a dud of a location, but.. if you've seen sign, you have nearby water, you have feed.. you probably just need time in that location to connect the dots! For what it's worth, I always see the most deer when I hunker down against a tree with a good sight line and the wind at my face. We'll just sit out the afternoon in a location we've narrowed down to be a high probability of seeing deer move through it. Some days there's movement, many days there are not.
    Ahhh yes, thats the thing that I enjoy as much as the deer is the experience and just being in the woods. Although a few animals over the years have been the days of a lifetime kind of event at the moment,,,all those many many countless other days are just as good for me when reminiscing.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Quote Originally Posted by Shannaleri View Post
    This isn’t the bad kind of anxiety, the “I don’t want to do this” feeling. It’s excitement that is mixed with a real desire to see results from the effort I put in. I get this with everything I love, especially while learning.

You make a damn good point though.
    When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. That's how I manage my personal anxiety whenever it shows up. How about you not worry about "missing out" on something and instead, enjoy what your currently experiencing, and if there's a lesson available in the experience, you win even more.