Thread: Relay Creek

Relay Creek

Been planning a trip into the Relay Creek area for the last year. Specifically was looking at the Little Paradise Trail. Unfortunately, in early spring I suffered some damage to my lower back and the resulting sciatica and lack of treatment options due to COVID set me back. I'm decent now but second guessing this route for conditioning reasons. Started taking a look at some alternative options; Leon Creek Trail, Nine Mile, or Big Dog among others. I'm planning for 7 days. Any thoughts?
    Not sure what the water situation on Nine Mile is like - Gunsight pass vs Yakalome for access? Big Dog seems doable. If anyone can offer some trail advice via PM I would be grateful.

Third / Fourth week of September is our anticipated dates.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Relay Creek

I presume you are muly hunting? Thats pretty late for finding deer in the alpine in those parts.I think after the first couple frosts they lose their food source above treeline? I have never found mulys above treeline in those parts pretty much after the first week of september. Big dog has lots of water. I have never been on 9 mile but it looks dry up there? Have fun in there. I havent found country any prettier than those mountains

Hmm relay and 9 mile ridge..some brute deer..closing in on 300 pounds..still some California bighorn scattered in there..
    Folks from last year passed on decent bucks..least the photos looked very good..couldn't seal the deal on sheep.
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    I presume you are muly hunting? Thats pretty late for finding deer in the alpine in those parts.I think after the first couple frosts they lose their food source above treeline? I have never found mulys above treeline in those parts pretty much after the first week of september. Big dog has lots of water. I have never been on 9 mile but it looks dry up there? Have fun in there. I havent found country any prettier than those mountains
    Could be true but I have seen plenty of large buck sign up high into late September. Bumped a large buck last weekend of September last season up that way. I don't think they usually start heading down until a few good snow falls. I could be wrong though.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Could be true but I have seen plenty of large buck sign up high into late September. Bumped a large buck last weekend of September last season up that way. I don't think they usually start heading down until a few good snow falls. I could be wrong though.
    Different areas different behavior.
    I would agree that up in the Shulaps you want to hit it on the opener or go elsewhere by end of September.

I suspected that we may be a few weeks to late but was hoping perhaps that the bucks would stick around until the snow got deep.
    Thanks for the info. I have a few weeks to think of an alternative plan. Maybe focus on the Camelsfoot range or head further south into region 8.
    Meeting my brother - he is coming from the coast and I am coming down from Quesnel.