Thread: Hunting 8-9 2020

Hunting 8-9 2020

Hi!
    I just moved to Penticton 2 years ago and got into hunting last year. I have 2 main hunting spots, one for rabbit and one for grouse, and maybe a 3rd one where I saw a wild turkey off season last year. I was wondering if any of you had any tips on nice areas that I could get to (I have a small 2004 2x4 canyon) or recommendations for a beginner? I know people dont like to share their lucky spots but an area will do just fine. Getting pretty excited for this season!

Thank you!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting 8-9 2020

You are surrounded by pretty good muke deer, white tail deer and moose spots. Just head up into the hills and explore. Up Carmi, the 201, ect...

Could add Chute Lake and Arawanna roads to the above.
    Pick up one of these from your local stores:
    https://www.backroadmapbooks.com/brm...ntry-maps.html
    Last edited by huntingfamily; 09-01-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Chute lake area holds deer, it's busy but so is every area in the OK.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Get yourself a BC Backroads Map book of the Okanagan area. They aren't 100 % accurate but still pretty good. I reccomend going up Greyback FSR (forest service road), to the 201 FSR , heading south to Ellis Carmi (around km 38 i think) and going right down Carmi, past the race track. Back to Penticton. They might be logging up there somewhere, so weekends are safer. Road is gravel and will be typically bumpy but not 4x4 type . Make a day of it , take a lunch , stop by Idleback lk. Lots of little side roads to explore.
    B.
    Grandpa used to say, "ya know, when you point your finger at someone , three of your fingers are pointed back at you."

Quote Originally Posted by BRrooster View Post
    Get yourself a BC Backroads Map book of the Okanagan area. They aren't 100 % accurate but still pretty good. I reccomend going up Greyback FSR (forest service road), to the 201 FSR , heading south to Ellis Carmi (around km 38 i think) and going right down Carmi, past the race track. Back to Penticton. They might be logging up there somewhere, so weekends are safer. Road is gravel and will be typically bumpy but not 4x4 type . Make a day of it , take a lunch , stop by Idleback lk. Lots of little side roads to explore.
    B.
    Have you been up Greyback rd lately, lol?
    Obviously not...
    Last edited by huntingfamily; 09-01-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks for the replies!
    I was going up Carmi most of the time, Love it! I went up Arawanna a couple of time too but didnt explore as much as the Carmi. Does it stay 2x4 friendly while going up? also, which one would be best for upland birds? As much as big game is exciting, smaller game is just so much fun

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Have you been up Greyback rd lately, lol?
    Obviously not...
    2 wd could make it up if wheel placement and clearance is decent and have posi and a winch to pull you out lol

It sure has gotten bad over the years went wheeling that way in the spring and it's as bad as I've ever seen it.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”