Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waterfowl pre-season...

Re: Waterfowl pre-season...

Goose opens here on Saturday. Going to take the boat to an island I know of on Friday night and camp overnight, so I can get into the blind well before sun up. Going to be sunny & hot, so likely a short morning of hunting but happy to just get out. Hopefully I'm able to come home with a honker I touched up all the paint on my floater goose decoys already, spread of 19 should hopefully get them coming in. One thing I am still hoping to try for this year is the Brant season in March!! Been thinking about it for the last 6 months haha. Good luck to everyone out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    Without wanting to pry in to secret spot, can you you say where you set up there? Trying to picture where to sea duck hunt around the island.
    any gulf island has lots of ducks available to pass shoot right off shore. Add a small tin boat and some decoys and your in business anchored just about anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    I love Hornby island. Used to spend a week or two there every winter and summer when I was dating a woman there. I always wondered if they allowed an archery cull of the deer.
    No archery Deer hunt that I know off. Tons of deer, had a few fawns bedding in the corner of the lawn last week, 10am regulars at the apple trees daily with the doe as well. I’m finding deer access to be difficult as far as private goes and crown land is minimal

It really is such a small island so I wouldn't expect much. You wouldn't want to put a bullet through someone's pottery studio and break some crockery that was going to sell in Granville Island for thousands of dollars now.

Those deer are ultra tame. You could hunt them with a rock if that were legal.

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    It really is such a small island so I wouldn't expect much. You wouldn't want to put a bullet through someone's pottery studio and break some crockery that was going to sell in Granville Island for thousands of dollars now.

Those deer are ultra tame. You could hunt them with a rock if that were legal.
    I just want to shoot one to do it. My main focus is mule deer interior. I’ll use a shotgun It’s an only shotgun zone or archery for that reason I believe. but there are some large properties I am working on access too.

Put up a tonne of ducks in the outer marsh today. Came home and put the final coat on my restored punt. Think it is going to be a great season. Look forward to reports next weekend...

Also, ran in to a couple of kayakers out there today and they told me about an app, Predict Wind. I just downloaded it and think it might be useful to augment the other sites I look at before going out. Free too.
    Last edited by Beachcomber; 10-04-2020 at 06:51 PM.