Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterfowl pre-season...

Waterfowl pre-season...

Starting to see little groups around, getting a bit cooler in the evenings (maybe just me). Was in the marsh last weekend, wind blowing...almost time.

This season I am trying to get my act together a bit earlier so I can load up and go when the bell rings. I know I have precious few days to hunt with work, the kids' weekend sports schedule and the endless honeydew list, so don't want to waste time in October doing what I can do now.

So, I have got my outboard rebuilt, bought a new (old) gun for the boy yesterday, and finished glassing an old punt I have been meaning to get done for about 3 years. Still need to touch up a few spots that didn't go as planned, but should be painted next weekend - or the one after that. Camo job to follow. Might even post pics when it is done given I am this organized.

Anyone else getting ready and fired up for ducks? Or am I early for once?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Waterfowl pre-season...

Well goose opens up on the long weekend so you could use that as 'training camp' or you can treat that for real since Canada goose is nice eating. I'll be out this weekend one of the three days for sure.

A buddy of mine got a boat and so before duck season we're going to make a boat blind.

Also not too late to pattern your shotty and work out any rust in machine or human.

Grouse opened today and springs still good in the chuck. Beach fishing for coho, mushrooms, deer, it is that magical time of the year. Hard to fit it all in and I'm retired.

Decoys painted at the end of last season so it's scouting and figuring out new locations for me.

Waterfowl opened here today. Hearing mixed reports, good and bad.

Ron
    Quail is the virgin
    Duck is the mature woman
    .....Iron Chef

Painting a whole bunch of canvas back magnums as scoters for some winter gulf island sea duck hunting. Very excited

We were talking about some sea. Bird hunting this year aswel. Please post up decoys when done.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post
    Painting a whole bunch of canvas back magnums as scoters for some winter gulf island sea duck hunting. Very excited
    X2 on the decoy pics. Please let us see the finished product

I have a place on hornby. Taking the boys out for a sea duck hunt this January. Lots weather. Lots of cool ducks.

I love Hornby island. Used to spend a week or two there every winter and summer when I was dating a woman there. I always wondered if they allowed an archery cull of the deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post
    I have a place on hornby. Taking the boys out for a sea duck hunt this January. Lots weather. Lots of cool ducks.
    Without wanting to pry in to secret spot, can you you say where you set up there? Trying to picture where to sea duck hunt around the island.