Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started dogs

Started dogs

After a few years with out a dog, it's getting near time to have another.

I'm somewhat thinking of getting a started dog (6m - 1 year old). I've always had my mutts from pups before, and they've always (more or less) ended up doing what I wanted them to do in the field, and more importantly, been bonded to the family, and very protective of the kids.

That being said, I wouldn't be heartbroken to not have to house-train again, and have a mutt with a bit of a head start on training, but.. will you still get that strong family bond with a dog that comes into the home a bit later in its life?

For those who've purchased a started dog, what was your experience? Did the dog bond or was it just obedient? Would you do it again? What were the cons?

I also know the breeder / trainer will play a large role in the outcome, and serious research will be done if that's route I end up going.

Thanks for any input!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Started dogs

A started dog is basically ready to hunt and will likely cost you about twice as much as it would have as a pup. Might seem like a lot but trainers usually figure with the amount of time spent on the pup they're probably only making minimum wage. lol

I'v had two started dogs (Labs), the first one was a black female and she was 13 months old when I bought her. She was ready to go on day one, she just hadn't any experience hunting. When I picked her up I from the Breeder/Trainer I took her on a hunting/fishing trip in the Chilcotin, just me and her, by the time I got her home she was totally bonded. She was a total sweetheart and the best dog at marking downed waterfowl birds that I'v owned. The second started dog that I got was from the same breeder/trainer, he was two and a half yr. old when I bought him. Don't get me wrong but I would not get a dog that was that old again. He was a great dog, probably the best wild Pheasant trailing dog I'v ever seen, if he got the scent of a Pheasant it was in trouble. But he wasn't as good at making birds as my female. Probably because I didn't hunt waterfowl as much with him. But that said he didn't bond as easily as my female but when he finally did he was my dog, my big big buddy. I would do it again but just with dogs no older than 1 yr. old. I can't think of any con's other than getting a dog that was over 2 yrs., you don't get as much time with the dog. Good luck on what ever way you decide to go.

Mastercaster: I've done some looking, and the cost does go up, but so does the 'quality' of the 'product' so... I'm good with that.

ACB: Great info thanks! From all the dogs I've been around, I already figured anything over about 15 months wouldn't bond as quickly. It's good to hear that a younger dog still has the ability to form that quick, fast bond even if I wasn't its first trainer. Also agree that once they are over 2 y, it does start to shorten even more the short time we have with them.

Just fyi, a started dog does not guarantee quality. Quality means much more. Bloodlines health checked sire and dam with proven working ability are all important as much so or more than the training. Just remember just because some one is a pro trainer doesnt mean they are a good trainer. Jots to consider.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Just fyi, a started dog does not guarantee quality. Quality means much more. Bloodlines health checked sire and dam with proven working ability are all important as much so or more than the training. Just remember just because some one is a pro trainer doesnt mean they are a good trainer. Jots to consider.
    And just to add......sometimes a “started” dog means a “screwed up “ dog from bad training. As Foxton said some “pro” trainers are not worthy of being called such.

There is one such “pro” trainer in your area that falls into this category.....beware.

I’d insist that the seller give you a demo of the dogs abilities. If it runs with its head down and tail between its legs and continually shoulder checks with a worried look about it, I’d avoid it. It’s hard road to remediate a dog whose been abused.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Have the Trainer show you how the dog works without an E-collar strapped to it.

Rainer

Thanks guys! If started is the route I go, I'll be doing a LOT of research into who the breeder / trainer is; even more so than just looking for a breeder.

There isn't a breeder of any of the ones I'm interested near here, but will keep your warning in mind Labguy if I'm looking for training assistance near home.

Very good points Foxton and Labguy. Myself, I just got lucky when it came to acquiring my first dog. It was 25 yrs. ago and I decided I wanted to get back into water fowling as I had mostly been big game hunting for a number of years. I didn't know where to start, I saw an add in the Edge magazine for a breeder in Alberta west of Calgary that advertised puppies and "started dogs", I didn't know what a started dog was. So I called that kennel and it turns out he didn't have anything at that time, but he said he would give me phone numbers of the only two kennels that he would recommend. One was in Manitoba and the other just east of Calgary in Strathmore. I called them up and they did have a started female lab that was about 10 months old that they were willing to sell, so I said I was willing to buy it, you're not going to buy a dog that you haven't seen are you they asked and besides she wasn't quite read to go yet, she need a other month or two. I said you're right, I should see the dog before buying it. Two months later I was on Vacation and went to Alberta to look at the dog, she was everything they said she was but It took them 3 days of talking to me and going afield with the trainer and dog before they decided to "SELL" me the dog. I took that as a good sign, I got lucky!

Mine was 3 years old 1 season he was bonded great dog one of the best I have had and have had a few in 48 years .No he was not young but well trained no issues and loved too retrieve .I do not have any regrets on buying a dog that was his age. Other than yes he was expensive. But you want a great dog sometimes you pay the price, in my case it was well worth it . oh and yes he was trained with an e collar which I have yet to use...