Thread: Cut Block Age For Moose Hunting

Cut Block Age For Moose Hunting

Hi Everyone,

So I've been scouting an area in 6-4 since spring and caught a pic of a young bull moose. It's any bull/buck for bow seasons in this area. I used the satellite map that was posted here a few months ago that allowed you to set images on certain dates. I noticed that the area was logged in the winter, but no additional logging since.

Do moose and deer usually like cut blocks this young, or should I move on? With the intermittent hot days and rain lately, I've been having trouble differentiating fresh tracks from old tracks. There are lots of deer and moose tracks but they are either dried out from hot days or look new because they've been rained on.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cut Block Age For Moose Hunting

I shot a bull ten feet from a burn pile that was still smoldering in a new cut block once. Sometimes moose are where they are...

My friend shot a couple of moose when cutting firewood. Never happened to me. Not withstanding fuzzybiscuit, moose generally high-ass it for smoke free parts.
    Generally, new cut blocks and those more recent do not have the forage that moose like to browse one. Cut block that have recovered with good deciduous re-growth are more to their liking. Their necks are not long and to browse on small re-growth forces them onto their front leg knees. It's not to say you won't see them in a new cut block because you never know. Since you are in region 6, moose are migratory and young moose follow old moose by way of a scent gland between the hooves. Pay attention if there is substantial snow fall at elevation.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Two year old cuts they say are good but that’s in a perfect world. Make the rounds on any cut though. Good luck.

I'd say generally 3 plus years.

Moose/deer have a home territory that they are used to. It takes time to adjust to new openings, they don't move out but they do change patterns and habits.
    Walk a new block or a new road and see the tracks to prove they are still around.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Wherever there is feed, that’s where they go..
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

I have seen the most moose in 3 year old blocks or older. But as was already said they could be anywhere.

It comes down to traveling routes and vegetation