Thread: McBride Area - Mid September Hunt

McBride Area - Mid September Hunt

Hi all,

After following the conversations on here for a little while, this is my first post on huntingbc. This will also be my first season hunting... I’ve been introduced to it recently by a good friend of mine who’s been doing it all his life. We’re looking to hunt in the McBride area this fall and are planning a trip in mid September to look for elk, bear and mulies.

I’ve combed as many previous threads pertaining to these species in the McBride area but it seems a lot of the information is a bit dated. I suspect that all three of those animals might still be at higher elevations (subalpine or higher even) in mid September. However, I’ve heard that a lot of the elk presence in the robson valley region is at lower elevations on private land. I’m wondering if the mountains around there might hold elk herds at higher elevation in the relatively early fall? Also, do either the Cariboo Mts or the Rockies have sizeable high elevation berry crops to attract bears? I’ve found in my explorations of the coast mountains closer to home that blueberries don’t grow as extensively in the drier inland ranges (e.g. Lillooet Range). Lastly, any ideas as to whether mulies will be found in the high country at that time of year as well?

I’d be happy to hear any advice or input anyone has on these subjects. Also, keep in mind this is my first post so take it easy on this newbie

2. Site Sponsor

Re: McBride Area - Mid September Hunt

Typically you need to start with a joke haha as a first time poster long time reader
    also I’d suggest taking all of those questions and post them as all almost separate posts, you’ll find more traction on some of those questions
    ill answer one. Yes mule deer will be high still. But you’ll find them where you find them high low. Never know sometimes

Elk, mostly private land but you can find them up almost every valley off the Trench in that area. Thick bush so if you can't call then you won't get lucky.
    Bear, yes everywhere. Lot's of berries from low elevation all the way to sub alpine. TONS of Grizz too so watch out.
    Mulies, Yes I know where they'll be up high but that's a secret i'm going to hang on to..... Like Steelpulse said, they will be down low also.

Goodluck.

Thanks for the replies so far! I’m sorry I didn’t start off with a joke, I’m definitely a bit of a greenhorn when it comes to online forums in general. I’ll try and ask more specific questions going forward

Alot of the low country game is on private property. So I tried the higher elevations and saw only goats. About 10 years ago.

Take way more gas and tires than you think you need. I hope you own a 4X4. Already frost in Horsefly happening in the higher elevations. Bear opens tomorrow here. Wish I had a grizzly tag.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Take way more gas and tires than you think you need. I hope you own a 4X4. Already frost in Horsefly happening in the higher elevations. Bear opens tomorrow here. Wish I had a grizzly tag.

frost already? Damn.. I’m about to spend a month in your neck of the woods starting Friday... guess I better pack my winter gear haha

I would concentrate on predominately hunting deer if you are just starting. Elk hunting is much harder especially with little experience. You never know though. Good luck and enjoy your trip

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    frost already? Damn.. I’m about to spend a month in your neck of the woods starting Friday... guess I better pack my winter gear haha
    we have had frost around PG too, was just up goat hunting towards iskut, hit about freezing every night on top of the mountain.
    Shoot em' Whack em' Stack em'