Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Chilcotin Mountains Provincial Park

Re: South Chilcotin Mountains Provincial Park

Thanks for all the messages and feedback.
    Super excited for this hunt.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Chilton.............Nowhere else in my travels did I found so many obviously stolen Vehicles parted out in the Bush. Best to have someone watching Camp and Vehicles while you are out hunting.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    Chilton.............Nowhere else in my travels did I found so many obviously stolen Vehicles parted out in the Bush. Best to have someone watching Camp and Vehicles while you are out hunting.

Cheers
    Oddd. Never seen anything like this in the South Chilcoltin. Maybe further north closer to Nemiaha Valley. Never had an issue leaving camp or vehicle's around Gold Bridge.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Beautiful country. Had an awesome trip but no 4 point. Saw one 3 point and lots of other deer. No griz but talked to a mountain biker who was charged and used a bear banger. Lots of people up there and the heat was insane. Full moon didn’t help either. Deer bedded all day and didn’t move. There was a 1-2 hour window, in some situations way less to see deer at first light then it was dead all day and nothing at last light.

I’ll head up again in the future because the view alone is worth it.

I chatted with a few hunters around there, maybe you too?
    We spent the week chasing the only barely legal 4x3.
    After playing cat and mouse for several days, we glassed one morning too close to a basin, was negligent with the wind and watched him trot out of there for good. Never saw him again.
    Very low activity with weather and moon.
    And that windy cold front Sunday night to Monday just shut everything down and almost blow us off the mountain.
    The neighboring camp had to re-stake their tent at 3am.

Last morning while packing up, we headed over to the stream to filter water one last time.
    Suddenly less than 100 yards from us a lone grizzly is traversing the slope. Rifle & bear spray were 50 yards away.
    We quickly shuffle back to our gear while he keeps glancing at us but keeping on his direction.
    We watched him on his way crest over the ridge and disappear.
    Great way to end a beautiful week.
    That's 8 grizzlies so far this year!
    Last edited by Mark-R; 09-09-2020 at 11:06 AM.

I was up on the long weekend too and while it was busy - it wasn't over the top especially in the areas edging the park. Spotted up a bunch of bedded does, one buck (made a play but no dice) and got false charged by a black bear - he wasn't phased at all about my warning shot spraying gravel in his face and didn't leave until he got bored?

Lots of friendly bikers - seems like bike-packing is really taking off in the north end of the park especially. Moon and heat didn't really help things that's for sure.

Also if the two young hunters in the black Tacoma my partner (Bridget) and I met at the trail head are on here - please get in touch, it's important we catch up.

(6oh4) 815-9678 or email mark_r@telusdotnet
    Last edited by markathome; 09-11-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Love that area. Haven't been for a few years but there were goats, mulies, bears, grouse, cougar, and awesome vistas.

Went in for a week with the outfitter on horse back , what beautiful country. Was my first guided trip. Glassed for 6 days straight from a lot of great vantage points. Did not see a lot of bucks. Just one good one but he gave us the slip on the stalk and was not seen again. The view was worth the price, would have liked to see more bucks. It would be a challenge to walk in as far as we rode.