Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Chilcotin Mountains Provincial Park

South Chilcotin Mountains Provincial Park

Hey!

I am looking for some knowledge on the area. I have a few questions that I would like to ask.
    I will not be asking where to hunt, more about the area and what to expect.

• Is it busy with mountain bikers in the first week of September?
    • Have you ran into Grizzlies often when you hunted here?
    • Any tips on where to setup camp in the alpine? Tuck into the trees or stay more in the open?
    • How's the water situation? I tried using google maps to find water sources but it's hard as the photos don't give a lot of information because of the time they were taken. (hoping there will be some standing water left over from the melted snow)
    • I am new to September Mule Deer alpine hunting, which facing slopes should I focus on in the morning and evening. It should be pretty warm during the day so I will assume North facing slopes during the afternoon.

I'm going in blind but excited to see the country for my first time. Thanks in advance for anyone who's able to help.

If you're comfortable with discussing the area in more detail, please leave me a comment and I will send you a Direct Message.
    Last edited by aamenta; 08-25-2020 at 11:19 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: South Chilcotin Mountains Provincial Park

Love it up there, it's insanely beautiful. I'm no expert, but I've hunted that country a bunch in September over the last handful of years.
    Yes there are bikers and hikers around the first few weeks of Sept, but maybe not where you'll find yourself. Double check your plan against an app like trailforks to assess trail locations.
    Yes to grizzlies, lots.
    Lot's of water in general, but be strategic about where you're camping to ensure access to water without a long hike. Water can be harder to come by in the alpine unless yr near a cirque.
    If it's a hot year, deer tend to be in the trees until that last light. if mild, they'll be feeding where the feed is (any facing slope). Low to high country, I've seen deer everywhere in the chilcotins.
    I've found that keen hunters find their deer before opener and usually have them down on opening morning...

Best tip I can give > call the local bio for insight specific to this year.

Enjoy!

Wonderful, thank you for your reply!

If you're going to be using any of the main trails i would bank on seeing lots of peope, especially this year. There are definitely a lot of grizzlies some guy got mauled up there a week ago. The trail forks app will definitely be helpful. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! Yes Trailforks has been a great help. Will use it to get to the alpine then branch off away from people, Just picked up a last minute friend so we feel better having three of us going up now. That poor guy was lucky his helmet saved him. The Grizzly had cubs so my guess is they startled her by mistake since they were on bikes.

I was going to take my bike up but honestly, Im just going to hike. I don't want a similar encounter

I can't answer your questions specifically but will say if you don't have this map I would highly recommend it for exploring the SCM area:

https://trailventuresbc.com/product/southern-chilcotin/

Oh, I will have to pick that up.
    Thanks for sharing that

Lots of bears up there but just be alert and you should be fine. Lots of mountain bikers too on the main trails so be careful hiking up. Water usually isn't an issue up there. There are a few small springs and they were flowing good when we went in 28* weather a few years ago around the same time. I would tuck your camp into the tree line or shrubs/rocks if you want to stay higher.

Stunning area. You will have a blast! I was going to head up but we chose a different area this year.

Good luck!
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Up there 2 years ago Sept 10. Saw 2 other hunter groups one set of men bikers. Snowed 3” third night. Lots of deer but nothing worth the 20+ mile hike. 2 griz 100 yards from camp but no incidents. Always see grizzly in alpine, only lost partial deer to one.

Beauty country to hunt in early september. Expect to see other hunters/bikers/4x4ers. I like to camp a little more hidden but still within distance to get into the alpine before first light. My best luck has be right at treeline on any side of the mountain. And yes you will get to scare the crap outa some gzizz. I like to go a couple days early to "tie one up". It usually cools off pretty good at night to cool meat down. Water is usually fairly accessible. Have a great trip!