Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info on the klappan washout

Info on the klappan washout

Hello everyone. Myself and a buddy have a shared bull moose draw for the klappan area. Neither of us have been in the area before. Some of his work buddies suggested to him that that’s the place to go, so that’s where we started applying. I got the email from the govt about the wash out at 28km on the rail grade a little while ago.
    My question to all of you, how bad is the “impassable” washout? Has anyone been up there in the last little while? I’ve head and read that it washes out there every year and it always gets patched up. But that being said, if it’s the natives that normally fix it, maybe they won’t this year because if they’re blocking the roads to keep us out, maybe they won’t patch the road either.
    It’s looking like a 12 or 13 hour drive to get up there. I’m concerned enough about the Tahltan blockades on the access points, but so far I’ll willing to keep a bit of faith that LEO’s will have them taken down shortly(yeah, I know). But if I drive all the way up there, argue my way past the blockade, and then can’t access my zone because of a washout......

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Info on the klappan washout

Quote Originally Posted by barry1974w View Post
    Hello everyone. Myself and a buddy have a shared bull moose draw for the klappan area. Neither of us have been in the area before. Some of his work buddies suggested to him that that’s the place to go, so that’s where we started applying. I got the email from the govt about the wash out at 28km on the rail grade a little while ago.
    My question to all of you, how bad is the “impassable” washout? Has anyone been up there in the last little while? I’ve head and read that it washes out there every year and it always gets patched up. But that being said, if it’s the natives that normally fix it, maybe they won’t this year because if they’re blocking the roads to keep us out, maybe they won’t patch the road either.
    It’s looking like a 12 or 13 hour drive to get up there. I’m concerned enough about the Tahltan blockades on the access points, but so far I’ll willing to keep a bit of faith that LEO’s will have them taken down shortly(yeah, I know). But if I drive all the way up there, argue my way past the blockade, and then can’t access my zone because of a washout......

I can confirm that the washout is currently impassable. The river is up about 4-6' from normal and has flooded the area and access around the washout. The grade is also completely washed out a few km south of the 1st washout. Should also check Drive BC to determine the status of the slide in Ningunsaw Pass.

It is toast, completely impassable. As noted above the washout at 28 is much worse than previous years and a "patch" is not going to fix it, even if the water comes down to normal levels. Would take major construction to fix that piece. There are 3 more areas to the south that would make travel by truck impossible. And the bridge abutment at eaglenest creek is gone.
    I havent talked to anyone local about their plans for it, but i would guess it is not going to be fixed anytime soon.

Seems like there would be no need to put up an illegal blockade if the grade is totally impassable. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Morleystw View Post
    Seems like there would be no need to put up an illegal blockade if the grade is totally impassable. Just saying.
    There is still 28kms of usable road....guess someone thought it was still worth gating, but who knows.

Worth illegally blocking access? Resident hunters have a right to remove them,should be an interesting hunting trip.

Morleystw ! you have being up on the Klappan dozens of times - Have you not ? RJ
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 08-24-2020 at 10:39 AM.

Yes Jim,i was up there the last couple years and have draws this year.will be so choked if I cant get in there!!

Thank you guys for all information thus far. Not looking good, but keep any and all information coming.

Anyone make it up there? I was up there working in July, but havent been up since. havent heard if the water came down enought to get in or not.