Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stars in the sky steve rinella on netflix

Re: Stars in the sky steve rinella on netflix

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Well said. He is definitely the one guy that can lead the charge for thoughtful hunting. He also has succeeded in finding a group of like-minded individuals to bring along for the ride. Eduardo Garcia is amazing, Danielle Prewett will entice the ladies, and First Lite founder (and old friend of mine) Kenton Carruth has even spent time fly fishing with Yvon Chouinard founder/owner of Patagonia. If they can get guys like Yvon onside (Listen to the Meateater podcast with Yvon. It’s an eye opener.), then we can have a bigger voice, or at least a voice the antis will respect.
    Well said, it’s great that his crew are all normal people, not the chest pounding egos that most people associate with hunting. Very relateable!

This was a great documentary, not so much for fans of MeatEater or people that are already hunters (though I was still engaged throughout) but it's something you can share with anyone curious or misinformed about hunting, and why people choose to hunt.

I just watched the documentary tonight. There is a lot of good stuff in this, and the message is one of conservation more than anything else, which is awesome if it is actually seen by non-hunters. Netflix is definitely watched by the masses, so let’s hope it gains traction with the uninformed and helps the cause of respectful hunters.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Well said. He is definitely the one guy that can lead the charge for thoughtful hunting. He also has succeeded in finding a group of like-minded individuals to bring along for the ride. Eduardo Garcia is amazing, Danielle Prewett will entice the ladies, and First Lite founder (and old friend of mine) Kenton Carruth has even spent time fly fishing with Yvon Chouinard founder/owner of Patagonia. If they can get guys like Yvon onside (Listen to the Meateater podcast with Yvon. It’s an eye opener.), then we can have a bigger voice, or at least a voice the antis will respect.
    Patagonia is not our friend. Everyone forget their involvement in the lost of the BC Grizz hunt?

Yvon approves of millennial marketable outdoor sports. Flyfishing and Upland. Two sports I greatly enjoy, but two sports that are full of young, entitled, virtue signalers.

One has to only look at Project Upland's recent involvement with BLM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    Patagonia is not our friend. Everyone forget their involvement in the lost of the BC Grizz hunt?

Yvon approves of millennial marketable outdoor sports. Flyfishing and Upland. Two sports I greatly enjoy, but two sports that are full of young, entitled, virtue signalers.

One has to only look at Project Upland's recent involvement with BLM.
    Yvon was a trapper and deer hunter in his early days and through middle age. I’m not saying they are our friends, but I personally am not opposed to anyone promoting outdoor activities in whatever capacity. Even if they only show support for upland, it’s still hunting. The basic tenets are the same. (I don’t know what a “virtue signaller”is). I’m not an active predator hunter, so I didn’t pay too much attention to who was driving that particular bus. I just did what I could to support my fellow hunters pursue their chosen animals.

I watch this when it first came out. Excellent documentary.

Very good. My gf watched it along with me and it sparked a good discussion. She is not opposed to hunting and has come along to observe a couple times. She also will happily help butcher any birds I bring home. Watching this she was actually more fired up than I was especially when they had that vegan philosopher on. That said I'm glad Rinella let the vegan guy have his platform for the contrast. I have no problem with the vegan having his own personal ethics. He can hate hunting all he wants as long as it doesn't affect what I do.

I do love that all of the hunters tried to tackle the contradiction of loving animals but wanting to eat them. All humans have contradictions whether they admit it or not. Even the vegan fellow admitted that vegan food can harm animals.

I think hunters need to take the time to be thoughtful about what they are doing and to understand conservationism and how hunting is a component of that. I wish in Canada we had something like the Pittman - Robertson act Federally to point to. In BC it was a struggle to get our hunter-sourced revenue to be earmarked for conservation.
    Last edited by silveragent; 08-26-2020 at 09:29 AM.

This has proved to be one of the most thoughtful threads on here in a while. It’s refreshing to not have to wade through the usual monkeys slinging poop around.

Just watched it. I think he did a great job and I can relate to a good deal of the dialogue. If anything, it is a great example of how "I think" hunters need to be seen.

I like how some of the speakers spoke on trophy hunting, what trophy hunting is to various individuals and how it can both help and hurt hunting.

Doug Durren's story about his brothers passing "was touching" and how his family has managed the deer as a result. And I agree with Joe Rogan's position on the infamous trophy hunt and kill of the Lion "Cecil" and how it was bad press for hunters.

His podcasts are fantastic. He gets a lot of really interesting people on them. I really like the way he is building a big network of people and companies that share his same ethics and approach to wildlife management and hunting. Spreading the word to non-hunters.