Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stars in the sky steve rinella on netflix

Re: Stars in the sky steve rinella on netflix

Very well done film. He does a great job representing hunters and explaining who we are. I enjoy his stuff from books to MeatEater to this. We need more representation like Steve. I’ll watch a show
    like this before 90% of the WildTV, Big Buck Beatdown 10 type BS.
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Same as the rest of you, I very much enjoyed it. I have asked a few non hunting friends to watching it and let me know what they think, will be interesting to hear.
    Years ago I used to know a vegan who was big into activism in Vancouver. We had many good conversations and one thing that always stood out for me, was her respect for hunters and ethical farming, even if it wasnt vegan "friendly", the respect and care of the animals was more important to her. I took a-lot away from talking with her, no solution is ever going to be 100% what everyone wants but most the time we all have 75% of something in common and if we work to getting that 75% good then we can bitch and moan about the other 25% to keep us happy, i mean it feels we are only happy when we are moaning right
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the the most intelligent , it is the one most adaptable to change"

I did my CORE with Eat Wild and at least two of the other students were former vegans who decided they couldn't do without animal protein but for ethical reasons still wanted to minimize the suffering on animals overall so decided hunting and making the personal decision to take a life for their sustenance was the least impact, with ethical ranching/farming following that in their personal ethical scale. We all have our own ethical scales - which was touched on in the movie. Myself, I haven't taken a large mammal and I still don't know if I could even though I have gone out for that purpose. The closer an animal gets to me as a human being and fellow large animal I start feeling a bit twitchy about that.

But I have no problem with birds or fish. I love watching ducks and geese but in the end they are not big mammals like me. Also I reason that migratory species limits give me a wide latitude in how much I can harvest so I can ethically take everything within that limit.

Big fan of Steve Rinella, his is about the only hunting show I can watch...isn't constantly pushing product on you and selling out. He's just a down to earth guy who loves all things hunting, even Jim Shockey now days just feels like an infomercial trying to sell you all the things he's sponsored by...will watch anything with Rinella in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Codes44 View Post
    Big fan of Steve Rinella, his is about the only hunting show I can watch...isn't constantly pushing product on you and selling out. He's just a down to earth guy who loves all things hunting, even Jim Shockey now days just feels like an infomercial trying to sell you all the things he's sponsored by...will watch anything with Rinella in it!
    Keep in mind that Rinella was sponsored by First Lite and now actually owns First Lite through his media group. I don't think we will see much Sitka in his show

I like him and his show, but I do not agree with his "I live to hunt and I hunt to live" moto.

That doesnt really work for me when you are flying across canada to get to Alaska, then boarding a bush plane for another few hrs, then hiking a ways just to bring home a cooler of caribou meat. Just doesnt add up.

You may not have shot a record book caribou, but the elaborate trip involved makes this a trophy hunt in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I like him and his show, but I do not agree with his "I live to hunt and I hunt to live" moto.

That doesnt really work for me when you are flying across canada to get to Alaska, then boarding a bush plane for another few hrs, then hiking a ways just to bring home a cooler of caribou meat. Just doesnt add up.

You may not have shot a record book caribou, but the elaborate trip involved makes this a trophy hunt in my opinion.
    He does hunt to live... writes about hunting, bringing in an income to pay for food, shelter. He films hunting that brings in an income for food, shelter. He hunts so he can discuss the topic on his podcast that brings in an income. he has 3 or 4 different inputs of income because of hunting...

But I think I may be the only person that was disappointed spending money on Stars In The Sky. It's not bad and I get the purpose. But it didn't really do anything for me. It's well put together, it's shot real well, just I don't know. Maybe I was expecting something different? I don't know. I can say I wouldn't not recommend it.

I probably wouldn't have paid to see it individually if it wasn't part of Netflix. But if it had appeared as part of a film festival it would probably have been on my list of docs to see if I was already going to the film festival.

As for his motto, yeah I don't get the issue with it. He lives and breathes hunting. It's not just one thing he decides to do on the weekend. He built a business around it that allows him to live the dreams of many of us.

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    Keep in mind that Rinella was sponsored by First Lite and now actually owns First Lite through his media group. I don't think we will see much Sitka in his show
    He doesn’t own First Lite, Meateater does, but the former owners of First Lite are now part owners of Meateater. They basically formed a partnership and all the separate entities are now held by Meateater.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I just got around to watching it now. I thought it was very well done.