Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who else is stoked for youth season?

Re: Who else is stoked for youth season?

With the Grand Girl heading back to School soon, our planned "Grampa and Grand Girl Grouse Fest" might be on hold.
    Whilst we are "in the bubble" her exposure to a whole bunch of kids might burst that bubble leaving me on the outside looking in.
    At least we had a great time at the cabin, took her out with Gramma's .22 and she shot pretty good.
    Maybe by Thanksgiving Dinner @ the cabin where all the family attend.

Behind the tree...I'm waving...can you see me?

Hello from 3-19, my 16 year old and I are looking for Mulies today. Taking a quick break before heading back out for the pre-dusk session. We’ve seen good sign but no deer of any description so far.

I'm loving seeing photos of all the kids that beat me to their first deer. It's fantastic seeing a young generation connected to their food, their land and their self-reliance. You all should be proud of your tiny humans in training.

Behind the tree...I'm waving...can you see me?

Follow-up. Hmm...walked almost 17 km thru multiple areas, clear-cuts, lakes, meadows, dense brush, logging roads. Sat for hours spotting the tree-lines where there was sign of entry/exit...nada. This specific area, 5 years ago I spotted 5 deer and 5 moose at both dawn and dusk. The amount of track and droppings was down to completely negligible. Spoke with three other hunting parties, no one saw anything but a few does. We finally saw a single doe next to the road just before we hit the highway again. Overall, this once very healthy and active area seems to have become sparse. Will not be returning to the same area again, just not enough indication of a population.

Going out this weekend with my daughter, we going to try to fill her tag. Never hunted this early, it’s going to be interesting.