Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who else is stoked for youth season?

Who else is stoked for youth season?

Hey Gang, I thought I'd share my excitement for this upcoming youth season starting Sept. 1 and see who else is ready to go and what you and your kids have been doing to prepare etc.

My son, who is 11 will be hunting under my tags this year and with any luck, I won't even get the chance to shoot a deer for myself this season. We have been working on his shooting skills, including various shooting positions and shot placement discussions etc. He's been super excited for deer season all year long. He was convinced he'd harvest a deer as his first big game animal this fall, however, when I let him know he was ready to be the shooter during our spring bear season, he quickly changed his tune and was excited to harvest a bear as his first. (unfortunately only sows with cubs seen throughout the season)

We have a nice spot we've been focussing our attention at with a game cam. It should yield both mule and whitetail. It seemed to be a real hot spot last winter with the snow highlighting all the activity. So far there has been minimal pix on the cam but I think it should produce nicely come September and on.

Just last night we hung his tree stand and tomorrow we'll position mine right beside his as we've found a nice pair of trees overlooking our area. In an attempt to make the shooting portion of the hunt more reliable, we built a shooting rail on his stand. I'm happy with how it turned out and am certain it will be beneficial. I feel that ones 'first kill' should be a positive experience (quick and clean) so we are trying to increase the odds of that with lots of practise and any aids available. I've posted some pics of our setup so far and will continue to update any activity during his youth season.

Best of luck to all families getting out there this fall!

Montec

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Who else is stoked for youth season?

great job..mines 11 too and we have him shooting lots...youth season is going to be awesome...and he has a bull draw after.

Im excited! My kids are 3 years skunked for alpine bucks but we've seen some dandys scouting, one we nicknamed boss deer but fires screwed it up...maybe this year...we always shoot some WTs in 8 late season but it just doesnt have the story worthiness of a MD from the alpine packed down on your back...
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Just recently went thru all the hoops to get my 11 grandson his Youth Licence. He is very excited. Been scouting & on hunting trips over the last 4 years. Is a deadly shot with a .22. Grouse watch out this year.

Anyone going in the bonaparte area? used to bring my boys there, lots of deer on the 1st of september. Would always be done on the first day, usually 2 or 3 point mulies. Of course after we would see the 4 points, the only ones out of velvet. lol. Boys are now adults, damn. They move out of the area quickly, come october. It was awesome for the kids, if I can help I will

That's awesome! Well done with the shooting rail and trying to make the first experience as positive as possible. Love your enthusiasm to hunt together and I look forward to reading about your success!

Last Thanksgiving while at the range near our cabin our then 9 yr old Grand Girl asked if when she turns 10 would I take her grouse hunting.
    She turned 10 last week Son In Law will be getting her Youth Liscence and then it's just a matter of arranging a trip. Son In Law doesn't have the 3 years of liscencing yet so I'll be the accompanying hunter.
    We'll do some more range time next week when we have the kids at the cabin.
    I'm pretty excited about it.
    So, from a non hunting Family we'll now have 3 generations - me, Son and Son In Law and soon Grand Girl. Grow them numbers.

My 14 year old daughter is itching to get her first larger game animal. WE should be able to connect this year

Good luck to all of you hope it’s a season to remember, hopefully you guys have stories to share come December.

I used to mistakenly think a youth needed their own licence to hunt the youth only season, but I'm reasonably certain youth can hunt the youth only season using the parent's tags. With a youth licence of course.
    When in doubt, just pin it.