Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grohmann Knives

Re: Grohmann Knives

Quote Originally Posted by dak0ta View Post
    I've heard the stainless steel doesn't hold an edge that great. For not much more $, I'm looking at the Made in BC North Arm Lynx which uses S35VN steel, G10 grips, and Kydex holster. Definitely stronger and holds an edge longer. Experiences? Will get both knives eventually...
    I have both knives. Both are good. Had the Grohman In high carbon steel and really liked it but lost it in the bush. Now have one in stainless. The North arm Lynx is a nice knife but I find the spine of it to be a little thin. I worry about breaking it sometimes I I give it a good twist when separating a joint.

Quote Originally Posted by longwalk View Post
    I have both knives. Both are good. Had the Grohman In high carbon steel and really liked it but lost it in the bush. Now have one in stainless. The North arm Lynx is a nice knife but I find the spine of it to be a little thin. I worry about breaking it sometimes I I give it a good twist when separating a joint.
    Nice to have feedback from both. Which Grohmann model do you use? I'm deliberating on the #1, #2, and #103 Short Skinner. Any experience regular skinner for short skinner?
    Last edited by dak0ta; 08-20-2020 at 10:23 AM.

I'v had a Grohmann Russel belt knife for 50+ years, it still fit's well in it's sheath and still keeps a sharp edge. It will be on my belt in a couple - few weeks for early deer like it has been for years. I'v got stainless knifes, a Schrade folding blade and a Gerber trout and bird that stay in my daypack, and also a Kershaw 8 inch blade with a hilt for last line of defence situations that I wear on my other hip.

Nice to have feedback from both. Which Grohmann model do you use? I'm deliberating on the #1, #2, and #103 Short Skinner. Any experience regular skinner for short skinner?
    The Grohmann knife is a #1 as was the first one also. Looks like an odd design but it works really well.

What do you want to use the knife for? Personally, I only use the skinner for skinning, not fishing, making dinner etc. I like the looks of the North Arm Lynx if your going to use it for everything.

I was also looking at the #103 short skinner. Perhaps that is a better dedicated hunting knife compared to the #1?

I picked up the #2 trout and bird flat grind stainless and the #103 short skinner stainless off their seconds. If I like them, I might pickup the #1 original and maybe a #100 large skinner for moose sized critters.

Had my first Russel belt knife confiscated by Soviet authorities at Moscow airport in 1973. Didn't realize they had length restrictions on personal knives. It was the Boat knife with a lanyard.

Replaced it with the standard #1 when I got back to Canada in 1974.

The blade has cut through the sheath but to be honest, I have never really been happy with getting it sharp enough.

But I have this rare and uncanny talent of being able to make sharp knives dull by attempting to sharpen them.

I hear the Carbon blades are better than the Stainless. The stainless can be hit or miss with getting super sharp. Just keep a sharpening stone/rod while hunting if it needs touch up. It's the ergonomics that people rave about.

I have the #1 in carbon. It was the show model from a knife shop I worked at (too many years ago) so it has "D.H. Russel" engraved on the blade.
    Use the knife as my camp knife, and works well as a skinner as well.

Love the knife, hope to hand it down to my son, if he can ever learn how to properly care for a blade.

For real fun, get the DIY Russel kit, and put your own handle on it!
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell

Stainless steel has come a long ways, the grain structure now allows fine sharpening. There was time when it crumbled . The hard stainless steels will hold an edge but are more of a pain to sharpen . Old carbon steel was easier to sharpen but it dulled quicker.I like Lee Valleys' 1000 grit Japanese water stone.