Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Inreach Mini

Garmin Inreach Mini

I'm looking into buying a new inreach, debating between the mini and the 66i. I know you can pair the mini with your phone, but does anyone know if you can pair it with some of the older garmin handhelds, specifically the 62s? Their website doesn't mention this device specifically but it also doesn't list any handhelds.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Garmin Inreach Mini

Quote Originally Posted by Skull Hunter View Post
    I'm looking into buying a new inreach, debating between the mini and the 66i. I know you can pair the mini with your phone, but does anyone know if you can pair it with some of the older garmin handhelds, specifically the 62s? Their website doesn't mention this device specifically but it also doesn't list any handhelds.
    Why do you want to pair it with your GPS (I don't believe you can pair it with GPS units anyways)? I only pair mine with my phone to make typing custom texts quicker, and you can also use the Earthmate app on your phone to get a more detailed map. If your budget allows it and you want to upgrade the GPS, get the 66i. If you're happy with your GPS and don't mind carrying two devices, save some money and get the Mini.

66I. Do you really want to trust your lift to having to link 3 different devices and have them all work properly for the duration? Don’t be cheap it’s your life on the line potentially.

Skull Hunter,

I was in the same boat as you and went with the mini. I dont use my GPS very much at all. I wanted a 2 way comms device to let my wife know Im ok and to be able to receive important info like there has been a family emergency. And I wanted to be able to let my wife track my location and lastly contact SAR if required

If you want to have big conversations, you can pair with a cell. But thats not why I bought it. That said, pairing is simple and you can use your cell and text away.

You can create pre written messages on the mini. And in the event of an emergency, easy to press the SOS button and initiate SAR then follow up with one of my preset messages if Im alone and concious. No need to link any other devices.

1. I am experiencing a cardiac emergency.
    2. I have severe bleeding and require immediate medical assistance.
    3. I am in shock, losing consciousness, or hypothermic.
    4. Ive sustained a serious head or neck injury.
    5. I've sustained an injury impeding my mobility but stable and need extraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post

1. I am experiencing a cardiac emergency.
    2. I have severe bleeding and require immediate medical assistance.
    3. I am in shock, losing consciousness, or hypothermic.
    4. Ive sustained a serious head or neck injury.
    5. I've sustained an injury impeding my mobility but stable and need extraction.
    6. Animal down, send help.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    6. Animal down, send help.
    Haha. That would be perfect

Quote Originally Posted by grantk View Post
    Why do you want to pair it with your GPS (I don't believe you can pair it with GPS units anyways)? I only pair mine with my phone to make typing custom texts quicker, and you can also use the Earthmate app on your phone to get a more detailed map. If your budget allows it and you want to upgrade the GPS, get the 66i. If you're happy with your GPS and don't mind carrying two devices, save some money and get the Mini.
    It can absolutely be paired with other garmin devices and since my current GPS has bluetooth, I'm wondering if anyone else has tried with this GPS model. Pairing with the GPS would make sending personal texts easier, and the gps runs on AA's as opposed to my phone and the inreach. If I can pair the inreach mini to my GPS then all I need is spare AA's on extended trips. The phone an inreach would both be off the majority of the time hence no need for another external power source.

The way I look at it, I'll be carrying multiple devices anyways...

option 1 - Inreach Mini, GPS, Phone, 2 extra AA's for the gps if needed, but can also be used in a headlamp or whatever if the need arises.
    option 2 - 66i, phone, rechargeable battery bank, that would be used only in the case the phone or 66i died (and would cost about twice as much)

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    66I. Do you really want to trust your lift to having to link 3 different devices and have them all work properly for the duration? Don’t be cheap it’s your life on the line potentially.
    I wouldn't need to pair 3 devices, thats why I'm asking, only 2, inreach mini and GPS if it works. Pretty sure you don't even need to pair the inreach mini for it to send pre-made messages / sos signals though so...

Quote Originally Posted by Skull Hunter View Post
    I wouldn't need to pair 3 devices, thats why I'm asking, only 2, inreach mini and GPS if it works. Pretty sure you don't even need to pair the inreach mini for it to send pre-made messages / sos signals though so...
    You don't need to pair it with anything for it to work, that's why I was wondering why you'd want to pair it with your GPS. All the presets are programmed in, and you can still scroll through the alphabet on the Mini for custom texts. Trying to type texts on the GPS arrow pad would only be marginally less painful than on the Mini. I have a 64s, I'll try pairing it tonight and let you know. My phone stays on airplane mode and serves mainly as a camera, battery lasts a long time this way. I only turn on Bluetooth and pair the two if needed.

You can also only have 3 preset messages programmed. I have mine setup:
    1) Checking in, everything is OK.
    2) Camping here for the night.
    3) Change of plans or delayed, but OK. Will follow up.

SOS button for emergencies, and for non-emergencies requiring assistance I'll just pay the text message fee.

I cannot pair my 64s with the Mini. I think the Mini is meant to pair with smartwatches and marine units. My gps will only allow ANT sensors (heart rate, bike speed/cadence, etc.).