Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Wall Tent......who's done it??0

8x10 Wall Tent......who's done it??0

Hey All.
    I purchased a 12x14 Wall Tent with a 10' Enclosed Porch.
    The intention was for our Hunting Group to do some Hunting Trips up North. Unfortunately these trips haven't happened and I've decided to sell my setup and downsize.

I'm curious if there us a minimalist out there who camps out of an 8x10 Wall Tent. If so.....I'm interested in some Feedback and pictures of your setup.

I do have a Seek Outside Cimarron that I really enjoy for Solo Trips. Just curious on what an 8x10 Wall Tent would be like.

Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 8x10 Wall Tent......who's done it??0

I use a kodiak canvas 10x10. Put a stove jack in the side and use a bunkbed cot.just enough room for 2 ppl and gear. Quick to set up.
    It aint easy being green

That's what I'm after, something fast to set up. I don't mind being organized and simplifying things. Maybe order a custom enclosed Porch which could act as s Kitchen should someone join me??

Did it for a few trips with an old school woods 8x10, no stove. We did 5 days in it once with an ez up for a porch and it was not problem at all for two guys. On a colder trip we kept warm with a buddy heater (and a carbon monoxide detector). Two cots and a little heater is not a problem at all. Somehow the canvas is just way more comfortable than a nylon tent.

All that said, we regularly setup our 14x16 for overnight trips now and the 8x10 hasn’t seen sunlight in nearly a decade.

Brad

Prospector 8x12 with 3 ft walls, external ridge poles, mats on the floor= heaven for 2 , 'cozy' for 4 during the storm with a wood burner by the door
    On the wish list again
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Washerwolf, that's funny because I also have a 12x14 but just added a 8x10 for solo hunting/lighter weight. I have only had the tent on one boat access fish camp to try it out prior to season. So that being said my field experience with the 8x10 is limited. Few points I have noticed for myself.

1. Setting up a 3 truss frame is much easier solo. It allows you build the roof frames, drape the tent over the frame, then lift one side while placing the middle wall pole in place and the tent remains balanced while adding another wall pole. 4 truss frames don't have a center to balance on. Hopefully that makes sense. First time setting up a 8x10 was sub 10 minutes.

2. Square footage; It seems like only a couple feet on both dimensions but the tent is literally less than half the useable space ... and footprint. 80sq/ft apposed to 168sq/ft.

3. Longest pole is ~5ft so easier to pack in boat or atv

4. Just the tent canvas while being smaller, lighter and compact that a 12x14 it's still quite large and heavy. Not something you want to carry significant distance. My myself it's more a "portable cabin" than a tent.

Looking forward to colder weather and learning what it's good at and not so good for.
    Last edited by exv; 08-13-2020 at 11:54 PM.

once with friends slept in there wall tent once out running the digs. But I pref my two man tent or I'm sleeping in my truck lol
    Shhhhitttt I got this hold my beer

I have 2 sets of the Disc-O-Beds to allow for 4 people to sleep on, thinking about selling one set.
    1 set would allow for 2 people and free up a lotta Floor Space.

How about Wood Stoves?
    Heard good reviews on the Cabelas Pkg.
    How bout Knico?
    Is it worth to have a Side Mount Hot Water Tank?

Anyone ever pack an 8x10 into a Sled behind a Snowmobile? Thinking of doin an Ice Fishing Trip.

I have a 9x9 arctic fox. love it. 2 guys are tight, no room for gear, but it's perfect for one and all my stuff. once you start hot tenting you'll wonder why you ever suffered through a late season tent hunt without one.

The plan is to try winter camping with it this year. I picked up a Yukon Sleds skimmer, beyond amazing, but so is the price, and am outfitting it for a fast/light winter predator hunting system based around my little tent.

Do you still have your 12x14 for sale?