Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you hunt the GOS?

Re: How do you hunt the GOS?

If you're doing it all on your own, with no mentors to help you find some spots, then you're a bit all over the place.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice trying to go after all the animals for the entire season. Pick a species and learn how to hunt it.

And scout areas out. Put a camera, look for sheds, etc. I wasted too many hunting days scouting when I should have done that in the summer.

Now I NEVER go hunt a completely new area blind. Just not taking the chance during the precious hunting days that come around once a year.

Thanks for the responses, this is what I love about this site: help given generously when asked for! Much appreciated! Lots to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    If your going to hunt 4 pt Mule Deer early season, go into the Alpine for the opener, anywhere in the southern half of the province, your best chance at a four point for early season...
    Great advice WF, I'm in Kelowna, I wonder where the closest Alpine area is... We were hunting about 1700-1800 meters (5500 ft) and found deer, just couldn't get eyes on the big elusive buck in the timber... Saw some 2 pts though... could they possibly grow a couple more this year if they survived? Will have to check maps for higher elevation spots...

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex hunter View Post
    I get way way off the road even hide from people . grab my pack and bike and Hike and hike..Vortex
    I was thinking of going this route when going solo... gonna have to get a spotx or garmin first

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    We have a few similarities....
    Hey Bubba, I totally want to get into geese and ducks, going to look into it, I have a 12G pump and lots of steel shot (pandemic buying...)

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    I'll go opposite and look for pockets of timber in the middle of a busy area.
    Interesting, I can see the logic...

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Well, when i was in better times: I would go do some sub alpine MD hunts for opening day...
    Thanks for sharing Bugle, sounds like a good schedule!

Quote Originally Posted by BRrooster View Post
    ...The most important thing is just to be out there...
    Totally agree B!

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    Keep going back to the same spot for a few years. Learning new area every year can be good
    but often is tough. Just stick with it
    Hmmm, we know the area pretty good that we (bro-in-law and I) did last opening day last year, but it is a popular spot... Might be worth scouting the area and checking for sign...

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Josh, it is pretty obvious from your post that you are an analytic thinker...
    You got me pegged, Al, I can also obsess over gear, ballistics, tactics WAY TOO much... But yes, finding sign and identifying how fresh it is has taken me some time, especially scrapes, but starting to pick it out...

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    My season looks like this each year since I’ve started..May- spring black bear, September Grouse/duck, October -White tail, November - Mule deer...ive tried to hunt mulies in October and white tail in September and it was useless for me.. just like bear in April
    That's an awesome schedule, I'd love to go at least 1 for 4 there! I hear you about bear in April, went out like gangbusters full of piss n vinegar only to get into waste deep snow lol!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    If you're doing it all on your own, with no mentors to help you find some spots, then you're a bit all over the place.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice trying to go after all the animals for the entire season. Pick a species and learn how to hunt it.

And scout areas out. Put a camera, look for sheds, etc. I wasted too many hunting days scouting when I should have done that in the summer.

Now I NEVER go hunt a completely new area blind. Just not taking the chance during the precious hunting days that come around once a year.
    Good point. Yes, can get spastic out there trying to make something happen in limited time. I think cameras are the next investment...
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    Thanks for the responses, this is what I love about this site: help given generously when asked for! Much appreciated! Lots to think about.

Great advice WF, I'm in Kelowna, I wonder where the closest Alpine area is... We were hunting about 1700-1800 meters (5500 ft) and found deer, just couldn't get eyes on the big elusive buck in the timber... Saw some 2 pts though... could they possibly grow a couple more this year if they survived? Will have to check maps for higher elevation spots...

I was thinking of going this route when going solo... gonna have to get a spotx or garmin first

Hey Bubba, I totally want to get into geese and ducks, going to look into it, I have a 12G pump and lots of steel shot (pandemic buying...)

Interesting, I can see the logic...

Thanks for sharing Bugle, sounds like a good schedule!

Totally agree B!

Hmmm, we know the area pretty good that we (bro-in-law and I) did last opening day last year, but it is a popular spot... Might be worth scouting the area and checking for sign...

You got me pegged, Al, I can also obsess over gear, ballistics, tactics WAY TOO much... But yes, finding sign and identifying how fresh it is has taken me some time, especially scrapes, but starting to pick it out...

That's an awesome schedule, I'd love to go at least 1 for 4 there! I hear you about bear in April, went out like gangbusters full of piss n vinegar only to get into waste deep snow lol!

you’re pretty local to us, I get back from my moose hunt in October, if you want to pop over my side of the mountain and hunt any white tail season, or any mule buck lemme know and we will make it happen.

I will disclose that we only started hunting in 2017 and are by no means experts, but we have found more success in that time than some people do in a decade so we are either stupidly lucky or doing something right.. I think we have filled all our tags each season minus one mulie last year for my hunting partner.

I personally hunt every single weekend of season and extend most of them to 3 day weekends, so whatever works for your schedule works for mine, I just ask that you pay your portion of the fuel and have a terrible sense of humour like me.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 08-13-2020 at 06:24 PM.

I would go for a Whitetail Sept 10 until the any Mulie Buck opener in Oct. Personally, I like the meat of a Mule deer before the rut and the opportunity it offers, a 4 pt can be hard to locate sometimes, even for an experienced hunter.
    Then go after Whitetails again for Nov/Dec.
    As mentioned by others.....when you find a promising area stick with it, thats what I do and it is especially important if your using your legs to move around, getting familiar with the terrain is really important.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    you’re pretty local to us, I get back from my moose hunt in October, if you want to pop over my side of the mountain and hunt any white tail season, or any mule buck lemme know and we will make it happen.

I will disclose that we only started hunting in 2017 and are by no means experts, but we have found more success in that time than some people do in a decade so we are either stupidly lucky or doing something right.. I think we have filled all our tags each season minus one mulie last year for my hunting partner.

I personally hunt every single weekend of season and extend most of them to 3 day weekends, so whatever works for your schedule works for mine, I just ask that you pay your portion of the fuel and have a terrible sense of humour like me.
    Awesome man, thanks! I'll PM, that all sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    I would go for a Whitetail Sept 10 until the any Mulie Buck opener in Oct. Personally, I like the meat of a Mule deer before the rut and the opportunity it offers, a 4 pt can be hard to locate sometimes, even for an experienced hunter.
    Then go after Whitetails again for Nov/Dec.
    As mentioned by others.....when you find a promising area stick with it, thats what I do and it is especially important if your using your legs to move around, getting familiar with the terrain is really important.
    Solid advice... sounds like I need to scout or pound spots I know that hold game...

It's crazy how deer move or migrate. Sep 10 last year, we thought we were in deer haven, we hiked up before first light, and watched deer, mama's, babies, and two pointers feeding, chasing each other around. We bumped the buck when we tried to do the same thing the next morning on a full moon, and spooked deer everywhere at 5am, and heard the big buck snorting and running, braking branches just inside the treeline.

Anyways, we thought we are FOR SURE going to get one of the two pointers in less than a month during 'any buck' season. Came back, and poof, all the deer were gone.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

— G. K. Chesterton

I have a busy schedule with family and on-call on a rotational basis for my job but I try and hammer 2 good meat deer for my family every season which I almost always do, then save my last deer tag for a good sized buck or a deer with my recurve, and usually I get a part day or two to hunt the spike fork season in November....I also try to have some time to hunt elk in sept and first part of October but last year that got screwed up with my truck axle breaking...

I'll tell you what Joshbazz I MIGHT need a partner for the opener on sept 10, out for 4-5 days, so PM me at the beginning of September if your interested, we'd leave on the 9th mid day or so...we'd be focused on elk primarily, but if we see a legal buck it's yours (lol unless it's a crankier and I spot it first)....cheers

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I have a busy schedule with family and on-call on a rotational basis for my job but I try and hammer 2 good meat deer for my family every season which I almost always do, then save my last deer tag for a good sized buck or a deer with my recurve, and usually I get a part day or two to hunt the spike fork season in November....I also try to have some time to hunt elk in sept and first part of October but last year that got screwed up with my truck axle breaking...

I'll tell you what Joshbazz I MIGHT need a partner for the opener on sept 10, out for 4-5 days, so PM me at the beginning of September if your interested, we'd leave on the 9th mid day or so...we'd be focused on elk primarily, but if we see a legal buck it's yours (lol unless it's a crankier and I spot it first)....cheers
    Awesome Harry, I'll pm you - and thanks for the tips last year, wish I could have taken more time to get on them more! Cheers!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

— G. K. Chesterton

get out and look around before season (now!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    get out and look around before season (now!!!)

where he lives ? Better off to let the deer come to him lol