Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose LEH 6-9 September

Moose LEH 6-9 September

Hi,

This is going to be my first experience hunting and I have been reading/watching videos about how to call a moose where to look for one etc. I will be doing 1 or 2 days hunts in different weekends and even tough I am sure I will not have success I want to make sure I bring the basics to the hunt and if I am lucky by any chance I can field-dress the animal properly and I will not have a terrible experience with the weather etc.

This is what I have done:

I have been zeroing my rifle to 100 yards because I do not expect longer shoots. However, I will go to the range to practice at 200 yards.

I will start scouting some areas I would like to hunt, I already did it on a map.

This is what I have for the hunt :

Rifle + Scope + ammo
    Backpack
    Good pair of boots (Goretex) but I do not think I need insulated boots for September
    Good rain jacket + pants
    Knife + Serrated Knife for bones or wood
    Binos
    GPS
    Rangefinder
    Water purifier
    Hatchet

Any tips or trick to look for the moose or have a better experience during the hunt? any advice will help.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose LEH 6-9 September

Rope, tarp possibly game bags? You don’t really NEED much, some stuff just makes your life a lot easier. Good luck!

Bring a bear tag or two as well.

Check private message

Are you doing this solo?
    with or without a machine?

if it’s solo without a machine that’s a daunting task!
    myself and my hunting buddy got two bull tags between us and decided it was a fools game without machines and went out and bought a couple.. I’d try to borrow one or find one if you don’t have it !

see you out there. My brother has a draw and we will be hitting the area hard. Already pre scouting and not seeing much for sign yet.

I am going with one more person no machines. We will do whatever we can!

Shooting them is the easy part. Make sure you have a plan for what you're going to do once it's on the ground. Quarter it? Debone it? Cut in half? Will you need Hand saw, cordless saws all or Chainsaw with vegetable oil instead of chain oil to cut through bone? Rope to drag to road with truck? Pack boards or stretcher if its a ways in the bush? Remember they are a really big animal not likely to go in the truck whole.

I have been scouting first light in the morning and last light at night in different lakes, and open areas in Smithers, Telkwa and Houston and I did not see any moose... I am a little dissapointed because I have seen millions of bears (Grizzlys and black bears tho).

Any recommendations?

i hunted it the bow season and the entire early rifle season last year...no moose were harmed just grouse