Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moose LEH 6-9 September

Re: Moose LEH 6-9 September

I have a draw for 6-9 (rut season) as well. Keep looking as there are some moose out there, especially when you get away from the roads. Bears are everywhere and the grizzlies are starting to hang by the salmon streams in some places. There is a lot of logging and PAPC activity out there in some areas as well.

Good luck!
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

if you find a sign thats not been shot i will be suprised.

Here’s a couple suggestions on your list.

In this country you should be prepared to shoot out to 200 yards. There are lots of openings where that is the shot you will get. Sight in 2 inches high at 100 and you are level at 200 with most rifles. Get shooting sticks or something as there is often brush and no rest. Practice estimating distance or get a rangefinder. Sometimes a moose looks close but distances can be deceiving and it turns out it’s further than you think.

Be prepared for recovery in water. Everything is crazy wet this year. Keep a set of waders in your vehicle. Have a good rope and pulley system available so you can drag a moose to higher ground if needed. I use a pin kit for canoeing that includes 75 m static line, Prussiks, two pulleys, and webbing to wrap around trees. Some people just keep a come a long handy.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Cordillera; 09-14-2020 at 06:07 AM.

I think there is a typo with the above message. If you sight in 22" high at 100 yards you will be close to 20" high at 200 yard. Most rifles will only drop a few inches between 100 and 200 yards

ya 12 inches low at 300 with two inches high at 100

My uncles saying always was, never shoot a moose farther then the amount of rope you have in your truck..

If you connect with anything in the bush, and two of you, you guys better know how to cut up and devine a moose. Otherwise you can expect to do about 6 loads at the very minimum back to your truck (4 quarters, head, ribs)
    I'd skin, and debone as much as possible, both the hide and the bones are a lot of weight

Oops....corrected. 2 inch is better��