Thread: batteries + flashlights = corrosion

batteries + flashlights = corrosion

Can I use Duracell batteries with my Fenix flashlight?

With lithium-ion batteries, we don't recommend using anything other than Fenix batteries. However, you are able to use a Duracell 18650 battery with many Fenix flashlights.
    With alkaline batteries, we do not recommend using Duracell batteries within our flashlights since the Duracell batteries release a gas and our lights are waterproof, there is nowhere for the gas to go and that leads to corrosion.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

2. Site Sponsor

Re: batteries + flashlights = corrosion

semi unrelated but to help ensure your emergency flashlight is ready when you need it, I put a small piece of tape over the end of a battery in case it gets turned on and I find no issues with the corrosion you get when dead batteries leak

I have been using Duracells in my Fenix and the user manual recommends NiMH or good quality Alkaline — no mention of Duracell by name. It does say to take the batteries out if the flashlight is going to be stored for a along time.

Maybe I should be checking the battery status for leakage more often. I had some bad experiences with Kirkland AA in trail cams a few years back and quit buying them.

As a mechanic by trade I have run into this issue with Fenix as well as tons of other name brand flashlights, electronic torque wrenches lighted inspection mirrors etc....
    what I have found that works is put a dab of dialectric on both ends of batterys when new, and when you are done with tool (flashlight) unscrew the "waterproof" cap a couple of threads. I have found that this both allows gas to escape and breaks the contact with the battery so no battery drain or unintentionally turning on flashlight. I also store electronic tooling in cool spot in shop at home and work.
    Hope this helps
    Links
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

fenix batteries are the way to go. provides a brighter lite, last longer. awesome flashlight and i do not go cheap on the battery. if worried about going accidentally or storage i reverse the battery in the flashlight it self. so far so good for 10yrs?