Thread: Late Season Whitetail Gear

Threaded View

Late Season Whitetail Gear

Hey All,

With some personal things forcing me to cancel my stone sheep hunt, I thought I'd treat myself to some of the current Covid deals out there and book an Alberta Whitetail hunt for the end of the season(Nov 18th-25th).

I've never personally hunted from a stand, more usually have a pack and boots on but think it'll be a cool experience and I've always wanted to try and put a nice whitetail on the wall but just find myself to busy with other species to ever put in the necessary time.

With that being said, I've talked to the outfitter about gear and what to expect but want to get some opinions from other guys on here that I'm sure are whitetail rut fiends, I run pretty much a full Kuiu gear set and was planning to do a heavy synthetic base, heavy fleece mid layer with a set of the super down over top of that and possibly adding a water resistant soft shell for when/if the snow starts flying. Heavy set of lined mitts that I use for late season deer and February goats that worked well and then probably some of the hot shot heat packets to add some extra warmth as I usually tend to run a little cold when I'm static.

Any tips/items people usually have on them/recommend for this style of hunt?

Side note: If anyone has any tips/tricks for quick field judging, I'd love to hear that to. I'll be doing tons of research in advance but never hurts to know more.

Cheers!
    Last edited by porthunter; 08-13-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

2. Site Sponsor