Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shulaps/carpenter trip

Re: Shulaps/carpenter trip

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-R View Post
    There's a lady who is living up the Yalakom and calls herself the caretaker of the valley. She will ask you for id, hunting license, tags, and if she doesn't like your business she'll tell you to get out.
    I chatted with her and got along fine but I was just camping and exploring early in the season. She seemed fairly militant about her causes.
    I talked to the RCMP about her back in Lillooet, they're aware but said they might go and have a chat with her again.
    This was a couple of seasons ago.
    She didn't give me a hard time three years ago. Said she wanted to stop any more logging up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Tam Slam View Post
    Who the f is Alice - smokie
    sorry, had to @warnniklz (by the way, hope those hikers stayed out of your goat area for the rest of the trip!)
    Ah ha ha. Hikers weren't bad. Used them to see if they flushed any critters.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    By chance do you know if her name is Alice?
    can't remember

Had a 3/4 curl draw a couple years ago. Pre scouted 2 weeks prior to the opening ( which coincided with the general full curl opening )and found 4 legal rams, 2 full curl, 1 absolute bruiser. They came right to within 300 yards of us as we watched them crack skulls down a valley right to within range. We felt pretty good with hopes of returning a couple weeks later for the opening.
    We returned to find the local guides all over the place , Horses and fat rich american clients. At 8500 feet we crossed paths with a client and his guide. The guide asked us if we saw them ? we said Huh ? Guide : Their not here anymore ! We went in a couple days before the opening and pushed them back. Realizing now he was referring to the same sheep we told him we spotted them 2 weeks earlier.
    We spent the next better part of a week glassing the only basins we could reach on foot ( very rugged country ) , up at dark and back at last light, only to have that rich fat american pass us on horseback with a full belly of steak n eggs.
    A week after we returned unsuccessful the same guide we ran into sent out a picture of the bruiser Ram we had spotted 3 weeks earlier. We had no chance without horses. That horse was a trooper carrying that sausage stuffed american around those mountains.
    Advice , There a guide outfitters on both sides of the Shulaps. They will know where the sheep are. If you are not paying them, their job is to keep you away from them so they can have a higher success rate for their clients. Horses are a must to compete. Also a few cans of beeferino ( horse exlax ) could be an asset if you can manage to slip them into the guide horses food source.

Good luck

I mean, that sucks, but that outfitter makes like $50,000 per ram probably, so it's no surprise they will do everything they can to keep the rams away from you.

How far into the back country were they going? 2 days on foot? More? ... Could you have moved camp further in?

I wonder how hard it would he to hire someone with a horse to help ya out for a few days in country like that.

The chick "looking after" the Yalokom is pleasant enough and I am back to her as well. I do draw the line at showing her my license. Every time she asks to see it I ask her to show me her badge and smile. She did offer me some hunting advice though!

Quote Originally Posted by westcoast meds View Post
    Had a 3/4 curl draw a couple years ago. Pre scouted 2 weeks prior to the opening ( which coincided with the general full curl opening )and found 4 legal rams, 2 full curl, 1 absolute bruiser. They came right to within 300 yards of us as we watched them crack skulls down a valley right to within range. We felt pretty good with hopes of returning a couple weeks later for the opening.
    We returned to find the local guides all over the place , Horses and fat rich american clients. At 8500 feet we crossed paths with a client and his guide. The guide asked us if we saw them ? we said Huh ? Guide : Their not here anymore ! We went in a couple days before the opening and pushed them back. Realizing now he was referring to the same sheep we told him we spotted them 2 weeks earlier.
    We spent the next better part of a week glassing the only basins we could reach on foot ( very rugged country ) , up at dark and back at last light, only to have that rich fat american pass us on horseback with a full belly of steak n eggs.
    A week after we returned unsuccessful the same guide we ran into sent out a picture of the bruiser Ram we had spotted 3 weeks earlier. We had no chance without horses. That horse was a trooper carrying that sausage stuffed american around those mountains.
    Advice , There a guide outfitters on both sides of the Shulaps. They will know where the sheep are. If you are not paying them, their job is to keep you away from them so they can have a higher success rate for their clients. Horses are a must to compete. Also a few cans of beeferino ( horse exlax ) could be an asset if you can manage to slip them into the guide horses food source.

Good luck
    thanks for the info! Sucks about the guides but what’re you gunna do I guess. I’m just gunna have to be persistent and get up there as soon as I can.
    don’t have horses so I’ll have to do my best with my two feet.
    maybe with the whole corona thing going on they won’t have as much buisness and I might get a shot.
    min gunna go up for 4-5 days on the north side I think and see what I can find. Then hustle back on opening day.
    thanks for the tips and info about the guides, also nice to know there’s still some decent sheep.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I mean, that sucks, but that outfitter makes like $50,000 per ram probably, so it's no surprise they will do everything they can to keep the rams away from you.

How far into the back country were they going? 2 days on foot? More? ... Could you have moved camp further in?

I wonder how hard it would he to hire someone with a horse to help ya out for a few days in country like that.
    if you know the right people it shouldn’t be to hard to convince them to go.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    The chick "looking after" the Yalokom is pleasant enough and I am back to her as well. I do draw the line at showing her my license. Every time she asks to see it I ask her to show me her badge and smile. She did offer me some hunting advice though!
    Thanks. Nice to hear she’s not completely crazy

Good LUCK BH260 ! RJ