Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I forgot....

Re: I forgot....

I learned as a young boyscout to have a list...I have a list that I have added items to for years...it keeps me from forgetting stuff... when I pack I am often deciding what to leave behind after assembling what I think I might need....trigger locks were a pain in the butt for a bit but I had a matching set with about 10 keys to never be without one...my main one was used enough that you could get it to release with a screwdriver instead of a key...

Got to the river real early to reserve my rock for the fall salmon run. Its pretty cold standing in the river with only jeans and running shoes.

Sitting in the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal with boat in tow, headed to Barkley Sound fishing. Got a bad feeling I left the fishing rods leaning next to the basement door at home. A quick check confirmed this.
    And on a ski trip, got to Whistler parking lot and my Ski pants were not in my gear bin..... Old school jeans ski day........ L

I was loading the truck for a camping trip when the wife came in the garage and asked if ive got the propane, my response was " what kind of idiot do you think I am?" Got to the spot camp was mostly set up and I realized there was no propane lol

On a day hunt in Port Renfrew years ago. Coming down the hill we got a flat tire - first flat on the new truck I had owned for 2 years. Climbed under to get the spare form the carrier and oh sh%$, that's what the key was for that I took off my key ring, the spare tire lock. Was about to shoot the damn thing off but cooler heads prevailed and I was able to jam the lug wrench into the lock and snap it. Would have been a very long walk to get to the town if we couldn't get that lock off.

September 2011 Region 5 goat hunt.

I've got a cabin very close to the LEH zone and had been up multiple times throughout the summer.

As I was loading for the trip I couldn't find my boots at home. After multiple checks I conviniced myself I had left them at the cabin on one of the preious trips. Get to the cabin, no boots. Shit.
    Went up the mountain in my running shoes, lucky for me the weather was awesome, killed a (not big)billy on the afternoon of the second day and bombed back to the cabin. Lady Luck was on my side that trip.

Forget minor things on damn near every trip, but thats only proof to myself that I pack too much crap because I have never missed any of those missing items.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

forgot the gun clip for my .22, felt real dumb.

I jumped in my buddies truck at 4am one morning excited for our trip up the alaska highway. He stared at me for a minute before asking "wheres your rifle". Cant believe I would have forgot that!

thanks for sharing some good ones! glad i'm in good company and not the only idiot bumbling around haha

why is it that it's usually the things that don't work out that make the adventure great. i think i will go back down my gear list and add a "x 2" to every item now...

Seems that there is always something I‘ve forgotten - usually small and annoying but occasionally more.

Worst hunting one - first fly-in sheep hunt, get to the float base in Whitehorse and buddy starts ripping my pack apart to cut weight (pro tip - if you’re hunting with a wildfire fighter, don’t let them in your pack. Those guys are ruthless). All good - nothing I can’t live without. We get out there and on about day 3 I realize I haven’t seen my range finder in a few days. Turns out it was in my suitcase at the base. Cost me the biggest goat I’d ever seen about a week later.

Probably the dumbest one overall was a sled-in backcountry ski trip into a Cabin in the Cariboo mountains. About the moment I got out of the truck was the moment I realized my snowboard boots were still sitting on my stairs at home. Turns out conditions were bad so I never did get to try my McGyver’d snow boots-with kindling bracers duct taped to my bindings...