Thread: I forgot....

Re: I forgot....

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    I don't have any "forgot" stories.
    And if I did, I probably forgot.
    LMAO. ..
    Steven

I drink lots of coffee, probably too much. I forgot it on a fly in trip and spent the entire first day with headaches and withdrawal. Defiantly learned my lesson.
    "Fight back, no battles have ever been won by a coward"

Quote Originally Posted by upperleftcoaster View Post
    So the wife and I wanted to get out of town and we went camping on the long weekend. got all loaded up, packed the truck, braved the shitty traffic. half way up the coquihalla i realize that we have no air mattress/sleeping pads and no camp stove. dang it! and those are fairly important items on my car camping list. wal-mart saved the day, but we got lucky it wasn't closed yet.

now i'm going through my hunting gear and getting organized for the fall. made me wonder if anyone has some funny, "i forgot..." hunting stories.
    Good thread topic LOL

Glad you were able to pick up the items you needed for the trip.

We are usually pretty good about remembering everything, but we have had a few forgotten items... here they are in no particular order:

1) Heading out to a lake fishing... after about 1.5 hours driving, I felt like something was missing... quick shoulder check to look back at the gear... no electric motor.... so I did a lot of paddling that weekend... not a huge deal as the lake was fairly calm

2) Heading to the same lake on a different day... had that "something missing feeling" ... asked my wife where my back pack was (it had my some fly fishing essentials such as tippet, leaders, flybox, etc) ... "I didnt bring it down to the car... I left it by the door in case you wanted to pack any last minute things like I alwasy do" (yep she's right) ... that was after about an hour of driving. Going back was really the only option if we wanted to do any serious fishing, so we went back. It was a late night too. Imagine commute 2 hours to work, work 10 hours, commute 2 hours home, help pack up the jeep, drive 1 hour, turn around and go home 1 hour, drive for 2.5 hours.

3) When out for a weekend solo hunt. The Friday and Saturday were still "bow season" but the Sunday would be rifle season. I would have brought my rifle either way for bear deterrent around camp, rifle season starting on the last morning aside. Anyway, well... I did bring the rifle. I arrived at camp, sorted out the "jeep nest", pulled out my 30-06 sleeping buddy and was trying to sort out the best way to orient it so that if I needed to I would be able to jack one in quickly in case asshole bear (remember him?) decided to have another go at me. So I went to work the bolt, only to notice there was no bolt. Well, no camp rifle / backup rifle that weekend. Was terrified that I would see a big old buck at 200 yards the morning of the 10th. Though that never happened... never does LOL

4) Last December on another solo hunt, a miscommunication at home left me to realise at camp that I hunt no real hunting clothes. I was one of those weekends that were going to be just above freezing and pouring the whole time. All I had was a couple cotton hoodies and a pair of jeans and some other thin pair of cabelas pants... realized it the first night I arrived at camp and wanted to sleep in a jacket. A lot of cussing ensued. I did not see how I was possibly going to be able to hunt any significant amount of time that weekend. I figured I can go as long as I can handle it with one pair of clothes, but once that is saturated with water, I have to save the other clothes for sleeping and maybe road hunting. I was contemplating garbage bag ponchos and all sorts of stuff. By some insane luck, the heavy rain was mostly dark until dawn. I never did get water logged. A little bit chilly went sitting around or still hunting, but it all worked out.

Other times, it's not things you forget to bring. It's things you forget at home "you turned the oven off right?, "I'm pretty sure I did", "PRETTY SURE!?" ... same thing with the portable AC units that will flood the place if left unattented... so we have driven back varying distances a few times (I think always for no reason... but if you're not sure, you gotta check)

Well, that's all I can "remember" for now.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 08-10-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Just a weekend hunt forgot my underwear, socks and hunting boots.. LOL
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

I have a lot of extra gear because I forgot stuff at home

my most notable story, I realized I forget my fly reels at home while driving down to Van, flying to NZ for 3 weeks of fishing and hunting on my once in a lifetime trip....pull over on highway rip bags apart, yep no reels....no biggie, stay positive, wholesale sports still open and picked up reel and lines, crash buddies couch for the night, had some drinks and final gear check, make sure I don't forget anything else..... and then buddy drives me to the airport in the morning

I finally land in NZ after a layover and delayed flight, and get immediate text message from my buddy...."Hey you forgot that new fly reel"....few curse words but nothing that can't be fixed, still pretty optimistic knowing I can return the stuff to WSS, just the inconvenience but I can afford it at least......10 mins later, "you forgot your binos and range finder too".....many more curse words this time....I just had to recheck my back one last time...oh well, not re-buying those items (thankfully my outfitter had top notch gear to lend me)

the real salt on the wound was buying the cheapest fly reel possible, and the anti reverse lets go on a drag peeling run, backlashes on my first good trout and breaks off....so 2 hour drive back to the store and buy the same sage reel I have 3 of sitting back at home, and of course everything is conveniently 40% more expensive over there lol
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

one time i forgot my ammunition...so my hunting partner was kind enough to lend me his cannon for the day lol. Another time, I forgot my trigger lock keys at home. Needless to say, I make sure I have my keys and ammo everytime now

Brother-in-law/sister-in-law travel from Dawson to visit and do a jet boat trip. Wife and I get everything loaded, double checked and off we go. Get to the boat launch; no boat ignition key
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Brother-in-law/sister-in-law travel from Dawson to visit and do a jet boat trip. Wife and I get everything loaded, double checked and off we go. Get to the boat launch; no boat ignition key

been there that sucks!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Fly in moose trip, my buddy has the trigger lock on but no key. Severe depression, but ok after he filed it off with the leatherman

Was in a rush one night before leaving on a hunt the following morning so I was launderin* some more clothes for the trip. I had a light bulb moment when I could not find my wallet . It was floating in the washer with money for the trip also hunting license and tags . Whole new meaning to laundry is money !

Another week long trip and just before PG light bulb goes on I had forgot my fanny pack with all my essentials ,binoculars,compass , fire source , etc. Ended up waiting for Crappy Tire to pen in PG and bought a whole new set of all I had forgot .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !