Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silnylon Tarp Size Recommendation

Re: Silnylon Tarp Size Recommendation

Are Siltarps and AquaQuest brand names that just use the same product to make there tarps ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Are Siltarps and AquaQuest brand names that just use the same product to make there tarps ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Im not positive if they are using the same products but Sanctuary Sir-Tarps is a US based Company, AuqaQuest is a BC owned Company, of course both probably get their products out of China !!!!
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver Skin View Post
    Both Lite Outdoors and Aqua Quest are Canadian companies...good! Anyone have positive or negative experiences with either? Leaning towards Aquaquest now...
    Auqaquest was great to deal with, here's our setup for an overnight spike camp, this was 2 7'x10' tarps, the 10x10 or 10x12 may have been a little better for 2 guys but it worked for a one night spike camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Auqaquest was great to deal with, here's our setup for an overnight spike camp, this was 2 7'x10' tarps, the 10x10 or 10x12 may have been a little better for 2 guys but it worked for a one night spike camp.

What do you bring with you for a “spike camp”? Granola bars and some water? Sleeping bag or no sleeping bag?
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

BackPack, BUGSPRAY, 2 full Water bottles each but water was not far away, granola Bars, small ziplock of trail mix, 1 mountainhouse meal each, sleeping bag, jetboil stove.....coffee !!!
    Spotting scope/binos/rifle/knife, pretty much what I take on a day hunt other than the SilTarp, mountainhouse and sleeping bags,
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 08-10-2020 at 05:50 AM.

I have a 10x12. I wouldn’t go any smaller than that. By the time you put a stick in the middle to prop it up and guy the corners down there isn’t tons of coverage. Two guys and their gear maximum.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Thanks WF !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Im not positive if they are using the same products but Sanctuary Sir-Tarps is a US based Company, AuqaQuest is a BC owned Company, of course both probably get their products out of China !!!!
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Well - I couldn't make up my mind and instead justified why I could use a 10x10 and 10x12. Dealt directly with Aquaquest and they are a fantastic group of people! Should have the tarps mid-week sometime.

Just picked up an Aqua Quest guide lightweight 10’ x 13’ silnylon tarp from Amazon.ca. It’s on $20 cheaper than the Courtenay home site and free shipping ($139.99) At 1.7lbs and lifetime warranty, I’m looking at putting it through it’s paces sheep hunting this year. Seems like a well rated product from a local company.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver Skin View Post
    Im looking at the 10x10 from Lite Outdoors from AB but have read some good reviews about the Aqua Quest tarps. I'll check them out too.
    The pitch options with the 10x10 seem easier/better
    There are many good youtube videos on various pop-up shelter configurations using the 3m X 3m siltarp.

I have 3 sil tarps. They all serve their purpose. Some are more durable and versatile than others.

2 of my tarps are from MEC.
    The scout model (2.1 x 2.9m). Fine for a 1 or 2 person emergency shelter. Super light and handy. If weight is your biggest concern, this tarp is very light. Have used it on a couple sheep hunts as a shelter and as a tarp over packs and gear that won't fit into tent or vestibule.

The guide model (2.9 x 3.9m). Have used this tarp on several hunts. Big enough to string up over top of 2 tents plus have room for gear storage. Have also used this as a shelter over eating/cooking area when strung up between a couple trees.

I loaned my small scout tarp to my son for a sheep hunt and it got badly damaged in high winds. He replaced it with an AquaQuest 3m x 3m tarp. It is heavier than the MEC Scout but it is far more robust and durable construction. As noted above, being square,3m x 3m, there are a lot of good options for quick pop-up shelters using a hiking pole and a few pegs. Big enough for a couple people.
    Semper in excretum altum