Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .300 win mag ammo for newbie

Re: .300 win mag ammo for newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
    Yeah I know but the price was right. Honestly surprised I made it this long without a comment like this. And it won’t be my only firearm either. Wanted something to get going on everything this year for my first season. And sighting in with buddies that are way more experienced.
    My 300 Win Mag rifle came with a built in recoil pad and when I got it, it had (and still has) a slip on recoil pad on top of that. For sighting in I have a home-made shoulder pad my wife made for me made out of a piece of blue sleeping pad foam in a form-fitting pouch made of T-short material I strap on.

When hunting the two pads on the rifle are adequate for the one or two shots required.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

My 300 win mag was a featherlight. After I broke that stock, across the back of my knoggin, I replaced it with a heavier synthetic stock. It shot way better, better recoil pad, and a bit heavier stock. I still plan on shooting my juiced up 168 ttsx handloads when my new barrel is put on, with a muzzle brake this time round!! I learned on a 300 win mag, it was my hunting /range gun for 20 yrs, hence the new barrel. I’ve shot everything out of it from 150 tsx to 200 a frames. It’s wheelhouse weight is 168 gr to 190 gr. Lighter or heavier just didn’t shoot well. Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
    Yeah I know but the price was right. Honestly surprised I made it this long without a comment like this. And it won’t be my only firearm either. Wanted something to get going on everything this year for my first season. And sighting in with buddies that are way more experienced.
    If it was me I would get one of your buddies to sight it in then you can practise with out wondering if it's you the scope or the gun. Be aware of flinching it can be learned and hard to get rid of. I owned a 300 win and found the biggest set back was I couldn't shoot as much as I liked because after 10 or 15 rounds I was not shooting well. Take a 22 and shoot lots between groups with the 300. You won't feel the recoil in the field if you get to shoot at something. 180 grain always shot best in mine.

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Well sighting in the mule will be fun (if that’s what you call fun), but a good quality 180 grain should be your best bet. Lots of quality ammo out there to choose from.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

So buddies going to help sight it in, as I want to learn and I’m a hands on kind of learner. I have a limbsaver on it, and one of the boys is bringing a lead sled. I not under any false impressions that the recoil will be nothing, but that’s what range time is for right? Developing good habits and working out flinches

I have about 4 free boxes of good 300 win mag ammo if anyone want's to pick it up. Location Langley. P.S. It's FREE