Thread: Snowshoe Hare

Snowshoe Hare

Anybody been out for hare? I want to try some place not too far from LML. Any suggestions on possible areas plz and thx.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Snowshoe Hare

you pretty much have to leave the lower mainland to find rabbits, at least IMO. unless youre going for backyard cottontails.

hare appear to be at a low in there population still...

or the kids and i cleaned out all 20 pockets we used to hit up lol...

Hmm on that note... I guess rabbits and hares are on different, unrelated cycles? Because I have 5 cottontails in my freezer from just one leisurely evening drive but I had heard the "low end of the cycle" argument for a good 4 years in a row now

Eastern cottontails (and European rabbits) are introduced, and are a class c animal. That means no closed season or bag limit.

Snowshoe hares are a native species with seasons and bag limits in place. There are no hares in the Fraser Valley/LML proper. North of Squamish you can see them. Make sure you know the difference if you’re not hunting during the hare season!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Eastern cottontails (and European rabbits) are introduced, and are a class c animal. That means no closed season or bag limit.

Snowshoe hares are a native species with seasons and bag limits in place. There are no hares in the Fraser Valley/LML proper. North of Squamish you can see them. Make sure you know the difference if you’re not hunting during the hare season!
    Greetings. I just read your post with interest and thought I’d connect. At first glance, it appears you may share my interests. My name is Rick.

I am a retired businessman in his mid 60’s with a passion for small game hunting. I’d like to connect with another like minded, safety conscious guy who shares my interests.

My primary interest is Squirrel, Rabbit (cottontail/snowshoe), Turkey, Grouse and other Upland Birds or any other small game worth eating. I also have an interest in deer but nothing bigger. I’m not into big game (bear, moose, elk, etc.) or water fowl. Way too much work but varmint and predator hunting such as gopher, fox, coyote and bobcat also works for me.

I’ve been around firearms for years and can easily split a playing card at 30 yards with my 10/22 but being new to hunting, I don’t have the connections or local knowledge. If this interests you, get back to me. I’m open to chatting over a coffee if you’re not that far away. I live in Langley, BC in the lower mainland and my email is rjohnson.rdj@gmail.com.

I also have an interest in helping out the local farmers with barnyard pesting (rats, pigeons and other rodents) with my PCP air rifle if that grabs your interest.

I don’t know your location so if you’re not local but have advice or guidance worth sharing, I’m all ears. If I don’t hear back from you, stay well.