Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Transporting a rifle on a motorbike on public roads, legalities?

Re: Transporting a rifle on a motorbike on public roads, legalities?

Slinky Pickle has a good motorcycle set up IIRC
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    Hint - Print out a copy of the RCMP Brochure on transporting non-restricted firearms and keep it with you so you can show it to the cop when she stops you... I carry a copy in my truck at all times.
    good advice and I do the same...I once had a CO at a game check tell me he was letting me off with a verbal warning, for not having the bolt removed or a trigger lock, on my non restricted rifle, which was stored in my locked hard case in the back of the truck...magazine removed and not loaded...
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Hello, everyone.

Please only reply if you KNOW the answer, conjecture may only confuse the issue

I have a dual purpose motorbike and wish to use it to get from my residence to the bush. My plan is then to do my usual walking hunt.
    My question is: what do I have to do to legally transport my rifle on my motorbike while on public roads?
    My plan is to mount a Kolpin case to the motorbike (behind me, pointing down at approx 45-60 degrees). The rifle would be unloaded, with the bolt removed, a trigger lock on, and the case locked. Once at my spot, I would make the rife functional and go for my walking hunt. This is what I currently do with my truck, the difference being that my rifle is not at all visible by other motorists while I am in transit.

A google search resulted in contradictory information.

Please only reply if you KNOW the answer, conjecture may only confuse the issue

Thank you in advance.
    You are good to go as far as it concerns Legalities.
    However the "Kolpin" case might be a bit obvious. Perhaps something else is a bit better suited for the Eyes of the General Public.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

So this may be a brilliant or stupid idea (who cares it's free right lol) but you could disguise it as a golf club lol. Just put something bulky on the end and one of those golf club socks over it and nobody would even think twice, it's all about perception

http://firearmslaw.ca/gun-law-resour...ransportation/

Also has a link to download the RCMP pamphlet for your convenience

WOW, great replies!
    I only use resettable combi locks, even on the trigger.
    I am adept with the gutless method of field dressing, it's very handy to get a deer completely inside my backpack.
    I LOVE the ideas of using a guitar case, golf bag, or rectangular case instead of a Kolpin in order to disguise the contents from hypersensitive non hunters. Although riding out of town in camo may be a giveaway hahahaha!

Another thought: I wonder about the ups and downs of creating a 'takedown' by separating the stock from my 85 Finnlight and simply sticking the 2 halves in a backpack? Each piece would be approximately 30" long... Would the threads tolerate this being done a few dozen times? I'd have to use an anti seize to prevent galling of the SS.

fozzy is offline hunting 4 a decent Mulie

Copied from the RCMP web site:

"Transporting firearms safelyNon-restricted firearms

Non-restricted firearms must be unloaded during transportation."

Legalities have been covered well. Being legal and hassled everytime you go out would be no fun. Try and be discreet. Where you live will make a difference. Smalltown in interior you may not get noticed,drive a motorcycle with what appears to be a rifle on Vancouver island and you will draw lots of heat.

I remember an HBC member who had a shotgun in back seat visable at gas station in Campbell River. He drew a whole bunch of heat.

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    Legalities have been covered well. Being legal and hassled everytime you go out would be no fun. Try and be discreet. Where you live will make a difference. Smalltown in interior you may not get noticed,drive a motorcycle with what appears to be a rifle on Vancouver island and you will draw lots of heat.

I remember an HBC member who had a shotgun in back seat visable at gas station in Campbell River. He drew a whole bunch of heat.
    I completely disagree. Do NOT be discrete! We shouldn't have to hide in the shadows. Don't make it easy on the Antis and gun grabbers.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln