Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Transporting a rifle on a motorbike on public roads, legalities?

Re: Transporting a rifle on a motorbike on public roads, legalities?

I was pulled over a few years back by a Mountie on my TW200 with a Kolpin mounted on the back. I was driving out of town and a concerned citizen called the police. I happened to pass an officer so he turned around and pulled me over, and the concerned citizen pulled in behind him. Before he even got to me the lady was out of her car and pointing to the gun scabbard on my bike and waving her arm around. The officer directed her to return to her vehicle and he said he would check me out. He walked up to me and rolling his eyes and smiling asked me if I knew why I was being pulled over. I just chuckled and said I figured it was because I had a gun scabbard on my bike to which he replied yup. I asked him if having a firearm with me was an issues and he said no, unless it is loaded. He asked me to pop the case open and then he asked me to pull the rifle partially out and work the bolt. I did as asked and he said perfect. I asked if he wanted to see my PAL and he said if you have it handy, for appearances sake. Again, no issue. I asked him if he would have pulled me over if he had just seen the scabbard and no one had called in an issue. He said no. His reasoning was that if I wanted to hide a firearm I'd probably not be trying to do it in a gun scabbard attached to a motorbike. We chatted for a couple minutes then he said have a good day and wished me luck. I watched him go back to the lady in the car and explain that I was totally legal and that there were no issues. I pulled away with her still arguing with the officer. That is the only time I was ever pulled over on my bike and I used it with the gun scabbard attached all the time. The scabbard stayed on all fall and I even drove it down town empty like that when I was doing errands.

I say stick it on and go have fun. You are totally legal as long as the gun is not loaded. Nothing else is required.

I hunt often on a small dual sport. animals are boned out and packed out backpack or in panniers.

I have a "solohunter" gun cover I use to make my rifle a little less conspicuous, but other then that the law says it's in transport, so over my shoulder it goes, unloaded. been pulled over twice, so keep a copy of the safe storge/transport rules from the RCMP website handy. the queens cowboys don't often know the laws they are enforcing.

enjoy! hunting on a bike is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WelderGuy View Post
    Im still waitin to see where he puts the deer,,lol
    Shoot, drive home , get truck and bring home the bacon !!

Quote Originally Posted by gunpower View Post
    Shoot, drive home , get truck and bring home the bacon !!
    Cut it up, put it in your pack, ride home. I've done 3 mulies and 4 bears this way on a bike.

I am pretty sure that is concealing a firearm and a criminal offence. Transportation Laws for firearms are meant for safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfauste View Post
    Throw it in a soft guitarcase if you want to draw the least attention.
    Last edited by Dodo23; 08-14-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodo23 View Post
    I am pretty sure that is concealing a firearm and a criminal offence.
    Well, you would be wrong Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by vladthepes View Post
    I used to carry my 30-30 on my shoulder with no gun case on main roads. I ask the police if it was alright and they said there were no laws against it!
    Yep ya can drive you bike thrught vanc.downtown gun at ya back..no case no trigg lock bolt on....legally...but might get stop by cops..no law broken..

I had to go from Cloverdale to Burnaby to see a gunsmith about a stripped scope mount. I figured why take the truck (Fuel cost) so I put the rifle in a soft rifle case, slung it over my back and jumped on my KLR 650. I was at a light stopped with a cop right behind me. Never did anything. Even on the way home, I had a cop pull into the other lane to go around me. Never did anything. I thought for sure I would get pulled over at some point but I did not get pulled over. I have driven through radar traps or road blocks and gotten pulled over just to check my license and in 40 years, I would guess that's happened 15 times or so.