Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Transporting a rifle on a motorbike on public roads, legalities?

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Re: Transporting a rifle on a motorbike on public roads, legalities?

We used to hunt of motor cycles and used a gun scabbard on from forks or buck horns across handle bars. Packing a deer out was across the rear rack tied tight or debone into pack. We never hid our guns and I even pout a scabbard on side of my Harley with I rode 300 kms to purchase a used gun. I did get stopped by a cop at 7 am as it was not during hunting season and he asked what i was doing, he said it just seemed so odd yet not illegal, he just wanted to clarify, which I was fine with. If the shotgun on back of seat drew heat did he leave his vehicle to go in and pay or use the can, then it has to be out of sight or covered when unattended
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

[QUOTE=Smiley;2190649)
    Please only reply if you KNOW the answer, conjecture may only confuse the issue
    [/QUOTE]

Lol you haven't been here in a while have you. Hope you find your answers
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

This topic actually came up when we did the intro at the local range (Poco). Apparently a member there used to ride his motorcycle up with his gun on his back. Got pulled over (I believe multiple times) and the police suggested he please put the rifle into a case as they have to respond to the calls.

I appreciate the suggestion of keeping the RCMP pamphlet on transporting handy (as well as the link) and have added it on my phone so I can reference it offline. Good tip!

I used to carry my 30-30 on my shoulder with no gun case on main roads. I ask the police if it was alright and they said there were no laws against it!

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Another thought: I wonder about the ups and downs of creating a 'takedown' by separating the stock from my 85 Finnlight and simply sticking the 2 halves in a backpack? Each piece would be approximately 30" long... Would the threads tolerate this being done a few dozen times? I'd have to use an anti seize to prevent galling of the SS.
    Threads are tough, not sure why you would have galling problems.
    Set up the rifle with a specific torque on the screws and zero things up, then repeat the same torque each time you re-assemble would be best.
    Not sure which screw head you have but they can be changed out for torx or hex which might take more abuse. Pillar bedding would help too.
    As for disguising the Koplin, just put a speaker grill on and a phone mount, now its just a music hub
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

New idea: attach camo soft case with clips to the left side of my backpack so that it isn't higher than the backpack and the rest hangs down behind my left leg. Should be reasonably subtle.

Thanks for the thread info. It used 2 Torx.

i did this exact thing a few years back.......as i wind my way down the forest service road with shotgun slung on my back and getting closer to civilization i round the next corner and surprise!, for some reason there is a cop parked on the side of the road (maybe doing paperwork or something), i pass him slowly and nod and keep going. i think to myself phew!, and then there he is a ways back in my rear view, slowly following. He follows slowly for about 1 kilometre, and as soon as my tires hit pavement he lights up and pulls me over. I dismount and face him taking my helmet off..he steps out with hand over his piece and says "it's awfully strange to see a guy on a bike with what looks like a shotgun on his back" and i say " i bet it is" and he asks if he can see it and also my PAL. I lay it on the hood of his squad car and it's all trigger locked and good and he says" nice looking shotgun" and i say "yep it is" and then i show him my PAL and he says have a nice day. I knew my stuff and so did he...all good.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Quote Originally Posted by OneStevo View Post
    it's all trigger locked and good and he says" nice looking shotgun" and i say "yep it is" and then i show him my PAL and he says have a nice day. I knew my stuff and so did he...all good.
    You do not need to have a trigger lock on rifle or shot gun
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerman View Post
    You do not need to have a trigger lock on rifle or shot gun
    indeed, but i figured why not be overly compliant and avoid hassles, sometimes these things can go either way, even when you are in the right...

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Another thought: I wonder about the ups and downs of creating a 'takedown' by separating the stock from my 85 Finnlight and simply sticking the 2 halves in a backpack? Each piece would be approximately 30" long... Would the threads tolerate this being done a few dozen times? I'd have to use an anti seize to prevent galling of the SS.
    Your Finnlight is not a takedown rifle. Yes, you can separate the stock from the barreled action and rescrew it together but the zero may change.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!