Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Best binoculars in the $500-800 range? Nikon monarch 7? Vortex viper hd?

Re: Best binoculars in the $500-800 range? Nikon monarch 7? Vortex viper hd?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I looked at some leica Trinovids as well. My opinion was that it's better to go with a high end Nikon than a low end Leica.

The trinovids are not even made in Germany. Made in Portugal, and they really werent better than conquest HD
    The BEST Winchester rifles are made in PORTUGAL too ! So Maybe the BEST Leica's are made in Portugal also ! RJ

Just LOOKed and my Lecias are made in PROTUGAL Awesome BINO's !
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 08-18-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    What’s the name of the place in Burnaby?
    Interesting you didn’t like the Nikons. I bought the cheaper monarch 5 ones over the vipers a few years ago because they looked better to me. I guess you gotta try them all to see what’s best for you.
    I bought my son Monarch 5's and they work almost as good as my razors.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

So here’s a question. I’m looking at the monarch 7. I see they have 10x42 and 10x30. How much better are the 42 in low light situations.

The 10x30 are looking pretty attractive as they’re lighter and cheaper. Just wondering what I’d be sacrificing.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    So here’s a question. I’m looking at the monarch 7. I see they have 10x42 and 10x30. How much better are the 42 in low light situations.

The 10x30 are looking pretty attractive as they’re lighter and cheaper. Just wondering what I’d be sacrificing.
    The human eye will dialate to 7mm in total darkness less when older, the 10x42 have an exit pupil of 4.2mm the 10x30 will have a 3mm exit pupil just to put it all in perspective so you will give up a bit of low light performance , if your a sheep hunter or do a lot of alpine hunting go 10x42 otherwise the 8x30 will serve you well

https://youtu.be/F2ULueNXgzM here's a good basic YouTube video explaining the pros and cons of a larger exit pupil.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 08-16-2020 at 01:14 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post

Remember that low light doesnt always mean dawn and dusk. Sometimes hunting blacktails in thick timber on an overcast day will make it seem like dusk at 1pm!!

Personally, I wouldnt go less than the standard 42mm.

You will save some weight with the 30mm, however, and that might be an benefit you want to take advantage of, in addition to lower price.

There’s a set of razor 10x42 in the buy/sell section for $925 shipped.

On my 2nd set of nikon binos. Currently running with the Monarch 7 10x42 and very happy with them.

When I was in the market for new binos a few years back I spent far more time looking at comparisons made by birders rather than hunters because they spend FAR more time out in the field than hunters do. Some of them are out there up to 300 timers per year! There were tons of comparisons. I even posted on one of the bigger sites to get their recommendations.

The one brand that kept being suggested was Zen-Ray Prime HDs (10X42) It may be a Chinese manufactured bino but I bought them and couldn't be happier! I bought mine out of the States,,,,supposedly a floor model so I could save an extra $100 USD but they looked perfect. Picked them up in the states to avoid any extra fees.

Not sure what they cost now but they were a good bang for the buck! I paid $500 USD. Just saw them now on a US site for $620.

Here's a review:

https://www.rokslide.com/zen-ray-pri...42-binoculars/
    Last edited by mastercaster; 08-16-2020 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I looked at some leica Trinovids as well. My opinion was that it's better to go with a high end Nikon than a low end Leica.

The trinovids are not even made in Germany. Made in Portugal, and they really werent better than conquest HD
    Talk about making ignorant comments....since they’re made in Portugal I guess they are junk right ?

You should do your research before commenting, Both my original sets of 2nd generation Trinovids BN/BA models were made in Germany, the newer models are made in Portugal, some of the first generation of Trinovids were also made in Portugal but most were made in Germany.

I have owned several sets of the latest models of Leica Trinovid HDs and the Zeiss Conquest HDs and have used them side by side in the field, both are fantastic glass for the money, not to mention the quality within,

I see just about every optic manufacturer gets their lenses out of Japan or China does that mean your Nikon’s aren’t worth owning ? by the way most Nikons are made in China !

Its like saying those Swarovskis are not worth owning either as they’re made in Austria ....?

Your comments have more of a racist overtone than someone that knows what there talking about.

Do yourself a favour and give Omer a call at Precision Optics and pick his brain, as I’m pretty sure he is one of a few that handle more lines of optics than most people in Canada, he will give you an honest and very experienced opinion of optics, he not only sells them he uses them hunting.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 08-19-2020 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BradC View Post
    There’s a set of razor 10x42 in the buy/sell section for $925 shipped.
    Thats a great price as I see the cheapest ones online in US dollars is over $850 usd, which is roughly $1200cdn.