Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shulaps Range Sheep Draw 3-32E

Re: Shulaps Range Sheep Draw 3-32E

Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post
    Good luck is all I can give. Look forward to the pics of success
    Thank You! Hope to make something happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajsawden View Post
    I agree whole heartedly. Potentially do a couple weekend trips to maximize an 8 or 9 day'r later on. Ask your profs what you need to do to take a week off. I went to china for 10 days when I was in my final year. I had a great time, the world kept turning and I still finished school with honors.
    Guess I'll be biting the bullet and getting ahead in class for once. Lot more memorable than online lectures anyways. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by misinformation View Post
    Guess I'll be biting the bullet and getting ahead in class for once. Lot more memorable than online lectures anyways. Thank you!
    Yeah, I'll second this. I lectured at UBC for 7 years and dealt with students who had explained/unexplained absences all the time. if you get in touch with your profs at the very start of the term (like first day of class, no later) and just explain that you have a non-negotiable trip for whatever span of time, they won't hold it against you. They're super busy people with lots of students and it makes you stand out more to be a polite/decent person who is taking responsibility.

Id advise against asking for accomodations per se, like "hey i'm gone for these dates so can you move the test for me" but instead come with something more open-ended like "Hi, I'm unfortunately going to be gone for these dates. Your course is obviously really important to me and I see from the syllabus that I'll be missing this section and these lectures. I want to make sure I'm able to learn those sections, so would it be alright if I designated a notetaker while im gone/got recordings of your lectures/whatever."

Basically, from the perspective of a former university lecturer, don't let class get in the way of a sheep draw. shoot me a PM if you want help drafting your emails to professors, glad to help as long as you promise to get out there and give it your best shot during your draw.

And don't bother telling them it's for a hunt. They don't care why youre gone anyway, and you run the risk of upsetting an actual granola eater.

Quote Originally Posted by granola_eater View Post
    And don't bother telling them it's for a hunt. They don't care why youre gone anyway, and you run the risk of upsetting an actual granola eater.
    This made me chuckle, especially in light of your username. Well said!

To the OP, good luck! Definitely a dream draw.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Hunted the Yalakom, including Big Dog, many times.
    Almost got a decent ram on 9 Mile, but I guess it wasn't in the cards that day.
    Got a beautiful 4 point buck with a good spread and heavy bases near Buck Mountain.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Two years ago the gate was open to the Blue creek mine on the Yalakom side. There is a trail at about kilometre 75
    on the Yalakom to Big Dog if the road is accessible, as someone has said. These two access points will pretty well cover Big dog mountain. Watch out for grizzlies if there is a good crop of white bark pine cones. Good
    luck this is rugged country, find a good partner.

Check with the biologist in Kamloops, he will be lots of help.
    google mountain goat survey in the Shulaps by Doug Jury

Quote Originally Posted by Fosey View Post
    Two years ago the gate was open to the Blue creek mine on the Yalakom side. There is a trail at about kilometre 75
    on the Yalakom to Big Dog if the road is accessible, as someone has said. These two access points will pretty well cover Big dog mountain. Watch out for grizzlies if there is a good crop of white bark pine cones. Good
    luck this is rugged country, find a good partner.
    The road you talking about doesn't even go halfway, unless things changed lately.
    As for as I know the trail is the only access and not easy to find, also pretty long.
    However it takes you into some beautiful country.

Anybody knows what kind of shape the cabin is at 65K on the right down in a hollow?
    Last edited by wildcatter; 08-06-2020 at 07:06 PM.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕