Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Single burner hiking stove recommendations

Re: Single burner hiking stove recommendations

Been rockin pocket rocket and pocket rocket 2 for the last 8 years. Some foil to wrap around on a windy day helps. But not necessary.

Colder weather, set it up on a pad or something to keep the fuel out of the cold. Also warm up the fuel in your jacket first on cold days. -32 it can be finicky.

Edit: my parents keep one in each of their quads and sleds.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Jetboil or MSR Windburner are the two I have both work excellent, the Jetboil has the auto ignition which the MSR doesn't other than that flip a coin.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Wow lots to think about but I just made a small stainless expanded metal grill rack so im going with a boiling water style of cooker. Been looking at the Jetboils and the MSRs. Thank you for the info and input for personal uses.

I survived last week with the primus. I got the kit that comes with 2 pots. One with the vents at the bottom and one plain one. I liked it a LOT. I was boiling water for 4 people so got the larger one. For 1 person I would go with the smaller version. My online searches turned up the Primus as the best bang for the buck - and you can control the temp if you need to. I am very impressed.

i have the pocket rocket deluxe. built in igniter and built a little more tough than the regular pocket rocket. my buddy used his pocket rocket 2 on a month long trip and it didn't survive super well, he is a bit rough on things though. if you're just boiling water, the jet boil is hard to beat. i wanted some more options on pots and stuff, so pocket rocket.

I've been backpacking/Winter camping for 30+ years. I use a MSR Whisperlite International and it has performed flawlessly in any condition.

About 8 years ago I purchased an Emberlit Titanium wood stove for backpacking, it weighs next to nothing and as long as you can find wood, twigs, pine cones you will have a fire and hot water in no time.

https://emberlit.com/collections/stoves

Surprised the MSR Reactor hasn't been mentioned yet. Not the lightest option out there, but you'll be hard-pressed to beat it in any other category.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Jetboil or MSR Windburner are the two I have both work excellent, the Jetboil has the auto ignition which the MSR doesn't other than that flip a coin.
    Dave M, had the jetboil and msr reactor, he did a side by side comparison. He kept the reactor I do believe.

But it was more of a coin toss for sure.

This is like asking how long is a piece of string...

I have many stoves, love them all for what they are good at, but none are good at everything.

I have 3 very well used Coleman Peak 1 (separate burner and fuel bottle) stoves that are no longer produced - totally reliable, have had them since the early 90s. Great stove, reasonably hot, not super fuel efficient, reasonably quiet and fast lighting. Simmers amazingly well. Good in cold weather with liguid fuel. Stable for pots. Parts are hard to get.

I have the all-in-one Coleman 1 burner multi-fuel - good stove, moderately hot, quiet, lights fast, simmers well. Heavy. Ok on fuel. Good in cold weather. can be tippy with larger pots.

MSR 1.7L Reactor. Amazing for speed. Is a one trick pony in as much as it's not good at simmering, but will boil water fast and rehydrate meals fast. Good fuel efficiency. Canister fuel, so starts to get limited in colder weather (-8c-ish). A bit heavy with the included and required pot. Has a good fit in a pack as it's all contained in the pot, but a bit bulky. This is an amazing stove all round, and the Windburner is amazing too.

MSR pocket rocket deluxe (the deluxe has the built in piezo starter). Amazing!! Light weight. Tiny to pack. Canister fuel. Can simmer. Quiet. Best used for ultra light weight trips combined with a Ti stove. Super fuel efficient if you run it so that there's little excess/waste heat around your pot (run it slightly below full blast for best efficiency) - has similar fuel efficiency to the Reactor if you use it carefully. Canister stove so no that great in cold weather as the fuel freezes. Better quality fuel mixes do work better, as do larger fuel cans. Piezo starts to get sketchy at really high elevation, cupping your hand around the burner while lighting helps in this situation (keeps gas near the spark). I used this on a 5 week/900 km hike last year and with two people we went through maybe 2.5 mid sized (400gr) fuel bottle cooking every night. My No. 1 Choice all round.

MSR Dragonfly. Hot. Loud, does not simmer well (mine in an older version - it's settings are a fairly binary - flamethrower or almost flamethrower). If you want to boil water in the winter, this one is a great choice as parts are available. Takes time to warm up the fuel tube. It's the stove I use the least... folds up into a weird shape that does not pack nicely. Liquid fuel so great in winter. Uses a stupid, annoying aluminum foil windshield for the burner...

I also have a Ti Tri alcohol stove that I hardly use, it's for super light weight stuff - can also be converted to wood use. https://www.traildesigns.com/products/sidewinder-ti-tri They are restricted in some areas due to no open burning, so that's when I went with the MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe.

I have other stoves too, but not worth mentioning (larger, heavier etc.).

In a nutshell:

If in warmer than freezing weather -

Get an MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe

Get premium fuel canisters (MSR or other main brands, not Canadian tire fuel - it makes a difference in the cold).

Practice on being fuel efficient. Only have it on for the time you need to heat.

Canisters are recyclable if you puncture them once they are empty.

Get an Evernew Ti pot (a bit larger than what you think you might need - the operating capacity is less than the total capacity). A shorter/wider pot works better to take up heat than a taller skinnier pot. 1.3L is good for 2 people. 900mL for 1 person if not melting snow.

If in cold weather, then use a liquid fuel stove. Same pot as above.

For most reliable and best stove lighting, get a Light My Fire fire steel and you will not carry matches again.

Now you're done.... stop researching stuff and go camping.
    Last edited by Night Hawk 3; 08-04-2020 at 02:56 PM.
    NFA, CCFR, BCWF

I have been a stove nut for many years (must be my pyro genes surfacing) and to me and the country I most find myself in, with plenty of small wood chunks available. the best has been the Biolite Campstove bundle. I have added the grill which is bulky and heavy but carry it on a quad so not much of an issue. (the stove and kettle weigh just over 3 pounds and nest together nicely) Controlling the temp takes a bit of practice for actual cooking but for boiling water it is foolproof. As others have indicated for a carry your fuel stove, I favour a white gas stove, they work in all temps and have a fantastic range from simmer to blow torch heating.

My want for future is to find or make a reliable rocket stove engine that I can dig a small hole and bury the engine inside my tent with the exhaust vent taken underground outside the tent so I can minimize fuel use and still get the tent warmed up while having a handy cooking solution inside if required.

Here is a link to the Biolite site for their offerings, I will caution that they are pretty pricey but the quality is exceptional.

https://ca.bioliteenergy.com/product...BoCfwIQAvD_BwE
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should