Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Single burner hiking stove recommendations

Re: Single burner hiking stove recommendations

I also hqve a pocket rocket. Small pot, then inside is a small fuel can, the stove, pot holder, and a lighter. I pad the fuel can with a shop towel and wrap the stove itself all folded up in another one. Stops the clinking.

I had a whisperlite before, which was great but sicked to get going with cold, wet hands. I would like to pick up an international for a just in case stove in the truck.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Like mentioned.....it depends what your use is.
    I only have experience with the MSR Pocket Rocket and I really like it!
    It has 2 great features;
    A built in Regulator to keep the same gas pressure when your Fuel Bottle is low as well as sufficient pressure for Cold Weather operation.
    It also has a built in Piezo Igniter.
    I dehydrate my own Meals so I run Toaks Titanium Pots and Cups.

MSR WindPro 2 if ambient temperature is below freezing.
    Pocket rocket all other times.
    All suggestions above sound good though.

MSR Pocket Rocket for backpacking. I go through 1 ounce of fuel per person per day heating coffee/tea/tang water for breakfast and a Mt House for supper. I size the fuel canister(s) to the trip duration with an ounce or two planned to be left over. Mine is about 20 yrs old and going strong. I think the latest new ones are more effective as the bottle runs low on fuel but no personal experience. I always weigh the full canisters and write that info on the bottom with a marker, then you can re-weigh them to know how much fuel remains in the partial cans. And some even have the info printed on them.

For the the back of the truck or quad box it's hard to beat a one burner Coleman propane stove that uses the 1# bottles. They put out a lot of heat and are cheap to buy and run vs the backpack style canisters.

Otter Point (Southern Vancouver Island) MU1-2&3

I’ve been using the Primus Classic Trail for quite a few years now, it breaks down nicely and fits in my pot with my cup and spoon.
    I can boil or simmer with it.
    I have poached (steamed) many a trout with it.
    Been used up high during a goat hunts, and down low at the beach, never an issue.

I have two stoves. I have a 25 year old Colman PEAK 1 white gas that I use in the wintertime. This is a very reliable stove that simmers well and boils like crazy summer or winter. I like the refillable bottle and that you can buy white gas anywhere. It is a very stable base for cooking on even on uneven ground. It’s a little bulky in comparison to modern stoves, but still considered a backpacking stove.
    I also have a ultra small GSI Butane/propane stove with a GSI one litre pot that is a super compact kit that really turns out the heat for boiling and simmers quite well too. This is the stove I bring for backpack Mountain adventures. This is a great stove, but has limitations. The draw back of these kind of stoves is they don’t perform well in the winter, the fuel bottles are not refillable And the cooking platform is not nearly as stable as the PEAK 1
    If I had to only have one I’d have to go with the PEAK 1 with the white gas. Very reliable.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

I have a Jetboil Flash which works fast & efficiently at boiling water. The MSR Pocket Rocket is great too for it's small size. Either one is good. And the Jetboil can be used with other pots using a separate pot support. I would also consider getting the extra support legs for the Pocket Rocket just to make the whole system more stable. The Jetboil comes with support legs.

I have a MSR XGK and pocket rocket. The xgk Whitegas stove is just overkill unless you're doing long trips or cooking for a large group

These days I stick with just the small pocket rocket types

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    I have a 20 yr old Primus Multi-Fuel stove which I used every summer backpacking and camping. The stove is a beast, very powerful burner. I have used gas canister and camp fuel without any issues. It is not the lightest but very durable. I haven't replaced any parts yet.
    I have a really old Primus stove with a pump, made out of brass, strictly for liquid fuel and once heat up it burns like crazy, never anything wrong.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

I just purchased the MSR Windburner (Gas Canister) with coffee press last fall and like it's compactness and dependability for those light weight camping / hunting trips.

I also purchased the MSR Dragonfly and installed a "quiet stove" adapter for it's simmering and cooking abilities. It's a liquid stove that can run on white gas, as well as gasoline and Kerosene if you are in a pinch. The stove fits inside a 2 liter MSR Alpine pot and the lid also acts as a plate / frying pan if you are trying to cut weight. The heat shield, pot holder, and fuel pump all fit inside the pot as well for storage. I purchased the dragonfly for the times I'll be hunting / camping below -12C and when I'm hoping to catch fish or want to pack something a little more substantial then dehydrated meals for an overnighter. I've had it out on a couple of overnights this summer so far. Great for making Eggs and Bacon in the morning or a hearty fry-up for supper in the evening. I've been testing an 11 Oz fuel bottle for weekend trips (cooking for two) and still have half 3 to 5 Oz left over at the end of the weekend. This is cooking fresh food and boiling water for coffee etc, we are talking 30-45 minute meals not just doing a 2 minute boil for dehydrated meals. I also have a 20 Oz bottle for longer trips. hoping to do some winter backpacking this winter and this stove should melt snow and cook pretty much anything I throw at it. It's actually become my favorite stove and the windburner has been sitting idle pretty much since I got the dragonfly. It's not the lightest stove out there, but probably one of if not the best stove for cooking real food out of a backpack anytime of year.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF