Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Single burner hiking stove recommendations

Re: Single burner hiking stove recommendations

Check out this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ftvhAANhQ8

I have it an it's amazing at dispersing the flame outwards giving a more even cooking surface as well as cutting the noise by half. I've done eggs and bacon as well as steak with onions and mushrooms with no issues with simmering at all. We've also cooked full size sausages on it and cooked right through without charring the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Hawk 3 View Post
    This is like asking how long is a piece of string...

I have many stoves, love them all for what they are good at, but none are good at everything.

I have 3 very well used Coleman Peak 1 (separate burner and fuel bottle) stoves that are no longer produced - totally reliable, have had them since the early 90s. Great stove, reasonably hot, not super fuel efficient, reasonably quiet and fast lighting. Simmers amazingly well. Good in cold weather with liguid fuel. Stable for pots. Parts are hard to get.

I have the all-in-one Coleman 1 burner multi-fuel - good stove, moderately hot, quiet, lights fast, simmers well. Heavy. Ok on fuel. Good in cold weather. can be tippy with larger pots.

MSR 1.7L Reactor. Amazing for speed. Is a one trick pony in as much as it's not good at simmering, but will boil water fast and rehydrate meals fast. Good fuel efficiency. Canister fuel, so starts to get limited in colder weather (-8c-ish). A bit heavy with the included and required pot. Has a good fit in a pack as it's all contained in the pot, but a bit bulky. This is an amazing stove all round, and the Windburner is amazing too.

MSR pocket rocket deluxe (the deluxe has the built in piezo starter). Amazing!! Light weight. Tiny to pack. Canister fuel. Can simmer. Quiet. Best used for ultra light weight trips combined with a Ti stove. Super fuel efficient if you run it so that there's little excess/waste heat around your pot (run it slightly below full blast for best efficiency) - has similar fuel efficiency to the Reactor if you use it carefully. Canister stove so no that great in cold weather as the fuel freezes. Better quality fuel mixes do work better, as do larger fuel cans. Piezo starts to get sketchy at really high elevation, cupping your hand around the burner while lighting helps in this situation (keeps gas near the spark). I used this on a 5 week/900 km hike last year and with two people we went through maybe 2.5 mid sized (400gr) fuel bottle cooking every night. My No. 1 Choice all round.

MSR Dragonfly. Hot. Loud, does not simmer well (mine in an older version - it's settings are a fairly binary - flamethrower or almost flamethrower). If you want to boil water in the winter, this one is a great choice as parts are available. Takes time to warm up the fuel tube. It's the stove I use the least... folds up into a weird shape that does not pack nicely. Liquid fuel so great in winter. Uses a stupid, annoying aluminum foil windshield for the burner...

I also have a Ti Tri alcohol stove that I hardly use, it's for super light weight stuff - can also be converted to wood use. https://www.traildesigns.com/products/sidewinder-ti-tri They are restricted in some areas due to no open burning, so that's when I went with the MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe.

I have other stoves too, but not worth mentioning (larger, heavier etc.).

In a nutshell:

If in warmer than freezing weather -

Get an MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe

Get premium fuel canisters (MSR or other main brands, not Canadian tire fuel - it makes a difference in the cold).

Practice on being fuel efficient. Only have it on for the time you need to heat.

Canisters are recyclable if you puncture them once they are empty.

Get an Evernew Ti pot (a bit larger than what you think you might need - the operating capacity is less than the total capacity). A shorter/wider pot works better to take up heat than a taller skinnier pot. 1.3L is good for 2 people. 900mL for 1 person if not melting snow.

If in cold weather, then use a liquid fuel stove. Same pot as above.

For most reliable and best stove lighting, get a Light My Fire fire steel and you will not carry matches again.

Now you're done.... stop researching stuff and go camping.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

this MSR everyone is referring too,,,,,where is that from??,,,,,all i have here is a Canadian tire,,,,,and all they carry is the single burner woods stove,,,butane,,,,,,,and another question,,,,,,whats difference between isobutane and standard butane?,,,
    Aim small,,miss small

I have a Jetboil and an MSR Reactor. I prefer the Reactor because I don't like how the Jetboil pot attaches to the stove in a twist/lock fashion. I always feel like I'm going to splash hot water all over myself when I go to pour.

I like the fact that the Jetboil has a sparker built in but not enough to get over the attachment issue.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by digger dogger View Post
    Dave M, had the jetboil and msr reactor, he did a side by side comparison. He kept the reactor I do believe.

But it was more of a coin toss for sure.
    I did a boil comparison with the Jetboil and the MSR Windburner and they were within seconds of each other, they are both as good as it gets for reasonably priced backpackers stove, I take the Jetboil as it has the autoignighter but they don't last either !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I am surprised nobody mentioned Trangia stoves yet. They have been around for ever and work well. Still made in Sweden; tried and tested for decades by hunters, campers, scouts as well as the army. It is a compact unit with burner, base/windshield, pots and a frying pan all fitting together for easy transport. The base/windshield is stable and directs the heat around the pot really well. The standard alcohol burner is simplicity itself; fill with alcohol/methyl hydrate and light. No pumps or hoses that can leak or fail, jets that get plugged and the fuel can be bought cheap at every hardware store. And it is quiet; very, very quiet. Adapters are available for other types of fuel if you desire; I can use my Primus Multi fuel burner in it, but find I use the original alcohol burner more as it works well without the smell of gasoline and fiddling with pumps and plugged jets. The burner lid allows you to temper the flame so you can simmer things on it while at full burn it is hot enough to quickly boil water, bake pancakes or fry your bacon and eggs. They are not expensive either; my base version is only $95.50 for the whole package. Add the no spill extra fuel bottle for $25 and you have a great setup to go camping for a whole week.

I do have an Emberlit Ti twig stove, a Solo wood burning knock off, a Primus Ti Multi Fuel, a Coleman white gas stove, and an old Primus kerosene gasser. For short trips the Trangia wins every time due to its light weight, complete package (900 gr for pots, burner combined) and bomb proof, hassle free performance.
    Last edited by 35rem; 08-09-2020 at 11:15 AM.

I have a whisperlite. I like the white gas over the butane canisters. I like the fact I can visually confirm fuel levels and top it off before I leave for a trip. It boils water fast, but there is no simmer of cook. I keep one in my work truck to make coffee on long, isolated drives to sites.

Had mine for 13 years. Rebuilt it once and replaced a fuel pump 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    this MSR everyone is referring too,,,,,where is that from??,,,,,all i have here is a Canadian tire,,,,,and all they carry is the single burner woods stove,,,butane,,,,,,,and another question,,,,,,whats difference between isobutane and standard butane?,,,
    Which stove? I ordered mine from Atmosphere.ca, on sale + free shipping.

Isobutane has a lower boiling point that regular butane, so it will produce gas vapour down to about -12C rather than only -1C. The MSR fuel canisters also contain propane, which has boosts cold weather performance, as propane is good to -40.

Quote Originally Posted by grantk View Post
    Which stove? I ordered mine from Atmosphere.ca, on sale + free shipping.

Isobutane has a lower boiling point that regular butane, so it will produce gas vapour down to about -12C rather than only -1C. The MSR fuel canisters also contain propane, which has boosts cold weather performance, as propane is good to -40.
    thanku for response,,,,your answer actually cleared alot of things//questions i had,,,,im good to go now,,,,,,,have a really good idea what im looking for now
    Aim small,,miss small

I haven't tried the CT Woods brand canisters to compare, but even though it is labeled as butane, it is iso-butane + propane, or at least mostly iso-butane. I'll probably just buy the Woods one next if it goes on sale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7oi6Idc0Qg
    Last edited by grantk; 08-09-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Downside of white gas stoves is that they are noisy, none of them simmer well, they have a fair amount of moving parts and jets that like to get plugged at inconvenient times. If you ever need to disassemble one on the trail do so in a Ziplock bag (ask me how I know..). The (iso) butane/propane stoves are simple to operate and worry free. The ones that have the burner on top of the fuel canister tend to be wobbly, have poor wind resistance and, depending on the brand, the canisters are not sold everywhere. Both types will require a windshield in windy conditions; for most models this is an extra.
    Alcohol stoves like the Trangia have none of these issues. Downsides of alcohol stoves are their soundless, colourless flame making it hard to see if the stove is lit. Waving your hand over it will quickly tell you though. Alcohol/methyl hydrate does not have the same BTU per weight (10,000 BTU/lbs) as white gas (20,000 BTU/lbs) or propane (21,500BTU/lbs). You will need to refill the burner often; basically before each meal. Since filling only takes a few seconds not a big deal.
    If weight is your most important consideration a basic propane stove is hard to beat for longer trips. For short trips an alcohol stove still wins due to the low weight of the burner. Both butane/propane and alcohol stoves are virtually maintenance free.

Here is a good article comparing different types of stoves:

https://pmags.com/stove-comparison-real-world-use