Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Single burner hiking stove recommendations

Single burner hiking stove recommendations

Looking for peoples input and recommendations for a single burner stove for hiking camping/ hunting. Anyone can read the store labels but I really want reviews from people who use them. I dont need the best but I dont want junk. Not sure what fuel is the best or what unit has the lowest maintence or what fuel is the lightest and last the longest. Coleman single burner stove inexpensive amd small propane bottles are very easy to find but not sure how they work in wind and rain and snow.
    Hope everyone can help me out. Thank you

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Single burner hiking stove recommendations

Subscribed

MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe has become my favouritd stove.

I prefer the MSR Isopro fuel, but unless you are camping in cold weather most of the fuel works perfectly fine.

I have a msr whisper lite.
    It’s been a good stove and never failed on me.
    It’s 15+ yrs old, and used.
    If I crushed it, I’d buy another.

I think it depends what your intentions are. If you’re planning on boiling water for mountain house, etc I think the jetboil is hands down the best stove you can get. If you want to cook eggs, bacon and pancakes I would say you need one of the other msr type stoves with a lightweight frying pan. I just did 4 days in the backcountry with three people and heated up all of our dehydrated meals with one small fuel canister and the jetboil(I can tell you the size if you want me to go look).

as for fuel, I only buy the all season. This last trip I used a can of msr and it seemed to boil faster longer than whatever I used last year. It might be just me, but it didn’t seem to slow down as much as whatever I was using.

I have a single burner propane one I throw in my quad and the odd day out in the field I’ll throw a pack of johnsonvilles in the back for a nice mid day snack.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I got a msr whisperlite universal. It works great and can use a variety of fuels. Gas canister, white camp fuel, and then kerosene, diesel and if desperate, gasoline.

I really like my MSR Windburner, but just use it for rehydrating meals and coffee. It seems pretty bomb-proof, except it doesn't have a piezo start like the Jetboil. Pocket Rocket or similar is going to be the smallest/lightest and cheapest. Can't go wrong with a Whisperlite either, there's a reason it's been around forever and is still popular.

I really like my Primus Ti, weighs next to nothing and you're not limited to just boiling like the Jetboils. When we're headed into one of the many alpine lakes in the region we always carry a small frying pan and some oil, nothing like pan fried cutthroat trout. Spend the morning hunting, do some fishing while glassing the surrounding slopes, head out for an evening hunt followed by fresh caught trout. Sure beats Mountain House.

I have a 20 yr old Primus Multi-Fuel stove which I used every summer backpacking and camping. The stove is a beast, very powerful burner. I have used gas canister and camp fuel without any issues. It is not the lightest but very durable. I haven't replaced any parts yet.

MSR pocket rocket with the white gas canisters have served me well....