Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Federal government urged to restrict jet boats, protect salmon on upper Pitt River

Federal government urged to restrict jet boats, protect salmon on upper Pitt River

https://vancouversun.com/news/federa...-fb9b0f332eed/

Federal government urged to restrict jet boats, protect salmon on upper Pitt River

Several B.C. First Nations are calling on the federal government to restrict the use of jet boats on the upper Pitt River to protect salmon spawning grounds.The Lower Fraser Fisheries Alliance is in the process of applying to Transport Canada to limit the use of jet boats on the upper Pitt River, said Katzie First Nation Coun. Rick Bailey. The remote river, which feeds into the north side of Pitt Lake from its source in Garibaldi Provincial Park, has become a popular playground for jet boaters who race over the shallow water where five species of salmon lay their eggs.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Federal government urged to restrict jet boats, protect salmon on upper Pitt Rive

Step by step elimination of all outdoor activities

Re: Federal government urged to restrict jet boats, protect salmon on upper Pitt Rive

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Russell View Post
    Step by step elimination of all outdoor activities
    If it's quads ripping up the alpine meadows that will never regenerate or jet boats ripping up fish-bearing river bottoms, then yes, such activities need eliminating.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    If it's quads ripping up the alpine meadows that will never regenerate or jet boats ripping up fish-bearing river bottoms, then yes, such activities need eliminating.
    I run the upper Pitt and only use the main river channel. How about enforce the laws we already have instead of ****ing everyone.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

More rules for me but not for thee
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    Please show me the science relating to jetboats and salmon bearing rivers. I will happily wait.

Last edited by MichelD; 07-31-2020 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Russell View Post
    Please show me the science relating to jetboats and salmon bearing rivers. I will happily wait.
    Is there science saying there’s no damage that happens when jet boats go over salmon streams?

Has anyone looked at the degradation on the Pitt after every rain storm? That river can change from one side of the valley to the other with every rain storm. I’ve been up back to back weekends after storms only to relearn where the channels are. Sometimes the channel from the previous week will be void of water. The amount of rock/sediment that blows down that river after storms certainly isn’t doing salmon any good either.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I agree with this. Jet boats have enabled every Tom, Dick and Harry to blaze u rivers snd create turbulence. Why do we have to go everywhere and disturb everything.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach