Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Federal government urged to restrict jet boats, protect salmon on upper Pitt River

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,423

    Re: Federal government urged to restrict jet boats, protect salmon on upper Pitt Rive

    Quote Originally Posted by knothead View Post
    Here we go again, this was already tried by the lodge operator about ten years ago. I actually made it on global news as I and two buddies went by in our boats, they called us "jet boat rowdies".
    Of course that was a business entrepreneur trying to stop them not a native so might be a little different this time.
    Why don't they just shut it down to fishing all together then there would be very few boats making that extremely dangerous trip.
    It’s only a dangerous trip if you make it one.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

    UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!


    BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    914

    Re: Federal government urged to restrict jet boats, protect salmon on upper Pitt Rive

    Quote Originally Posted by knothead View Post
    Here we go again, this was already tried by the lodge operator about ten years ago. I actually made it on global news as I and two buddies went by in our boats, they called us "jet boat rowdies".
    Of course that was a business entrepreneur trying to stop them not a native so might be a little different this time.
    Why don't they just shut it down to fishing all together then there would be very few boats making that extremely dangerous trip.
    Its only dangerous if you are ignorant of the possibilities and consequences, or try boating well above your actual ability (EGO), and don't care about anyone else on the river, if those kinds of people can even consider that somebody else may be on the water.
    Logging in a spate valley has done the damage - thats obvious. Jet boats are red herring, and a lodge owner is looking for a monopolized use of a public area.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    430

    Re: Federal government urged to restrict jet boats, protect salmon on upper Pitt Rive

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Russell View Post
    Its only dangerous if you are ignorant of the possibilities and consequences, or try boating well above your actual ability (EGO), and don't care about anyone else on the river, if those kinds of people can even consider that somebody else may be on the water.
    Logging in a spate valley has done the damage - thats obvious. Jet boats are red herring, and a lodge owner is looking for a monopolized use of a public area.
    Well I have made the trip many times in my boat and as a passenger in others boats and have come back with damage and without damage. I also know several guides that travel that river many times a season so I am not a 'nube' to the dangers.
    Many very skilled and competent boaters have lost there boats and some their lives on the river and it happens, so to say 'it's only dangerous if you don't know what you're doing' is ridiculous.
    That doesn't mean I think they should be banned but I am willing to accept the dangers and associated costs when I go up there as is my right.
    As far as jet boats hurting the river in my opinion thats a ridiculous statement.
    If you know anything about that river you know that any hard rain and especially the spring floods that happen up there tear that river apart so to think that a jet boat will do the same kind of damage shows your ignorance of the river.
    Also in my experience jet boaters ,unless they have a very specific kind of boat, do no try to destroy their boats by running over gravel beds, they aim for the deepest water they can find.
    Guides specifically are not up there to joy ride and test the limits of there boats, scaring the crap out of customers is not conducive to return clients and can consume many thousands of dollars in repair bills.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ĎDickí Proenekke

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    914

    Re: Federal government urged to restrict jet boats, protect salmon on upper Pitt Rive

    Quote Originally Posted by knothead View Post
    Well I have made the trip many times in my boat and as a passenger in others boats and have come back with damage and without damage. I also know several guides that travel that river many times a season so I am not a 'nube' to the dangers.
    Many very skilled and competent boaters have lost there boats and some their lives on the river and it happens, so to say 'it's only dangerous if you don't know what you're doing' is ridiculous.
    That doesn't mean I think they should be banned but I am willing to accept the dangers and associated costs when I go up there as is my right.
    As far as jet boats hurting the river in my opinion thats a ridiculous statement.
    If you know anything about that river you know that any hard rain and especially the spring floods that happen up there tear that river apart so to think that a jet boat will do the same kind of damage shows your ignorance of the river.
    Also in my experience jet boaters ,unless they have a very specific kind of boat, do no try to destroy their boats by running over gravel beds, they aim for the deepest water they can find.
    Guides specifically are not up there to joy ride and test the limits of there boats, scaring the crap out of customers is not conducive to return clients and can consume many thousands of dollars in repair bills.
    Wow I think you need to read my post. Jeezus.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fort McMurray
    Posts
    2,409

    Re: Federal government urged to restrict jet boats, protect salmon on upper Pitt Rive

    I went out for a ride one day a few years back on the Athabasca River with a co-worker who just bought a new Firefish. He was hell-bent to pick the skinniest water and slide over gravel bars. Why not...he had a new $100,000 boat with full Teflon on it. We hit over and over and I kept warning him he'd be doing damage. But he wasn't stopping for anything and while I knew he was being way harder on his new boat than I'd ever think of being on my Explorer he wanted to go where he'd watch guys on Youtube go...

    Long story short, we pulled the boat out and he needed a whole new Teflon bottom. It was wore right through in spots. fun ride but it cost him over 5 grand by the time he was done...

    I don't think there are many guys who rip snort through the really shallow stuff to many times before they learn their lesson and as posted above most learn to pick the deepest water in the river..
    You find it offensive, but I find it funny... Thatís why Iím happier than you.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    skeena river valley
    Posts
    1,020

    Re: Federal government urged to restrict jet boats, protect salmon on upper Pitt Rive

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    I went out for a ride one day a few years back on the Athabasca River with a co-worker who just bought a new Firefish. He was hell-bent to pick the skinniest water and slide over gravel bars. Why not...he had a new $100,000 boat with full Teflon on it. We hit over and over and I kept warning him he'd be doing damage. But he wasn't stopping for anything and while I knew he was being way harder on his new boat than I'd ever think of being on my Explorer he wanted to go where he'd watch guys on Youtube go...

    Long story short, we pulled the boat out and he needed a whole new Teflon bottom. It was wore right through in spots. fun ride but it cost him over 5 grand by the time he was done...

    I don't think there are many guys who rip snort through the really shallow stuff to many times before they learn their lesson and as posted above most learn to pick the deepest water in the river..
    Sharp edged bedrock is hard on teflon bottoms, round river rock isn't (only my experience with running a 1775 Extreme duty since 2009 though)

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years
    Posts
    4,720

    Re: Federal government urged to restrict jet boats, protect salmon on upper Pitt Rive

    It makes sense that fishing and wilderness guides would want to keep other's from using "their" river, but
    it also makes sense that some of the jet boaters are thrill seekers that do run over the shallow spawning
    beds. There are more and more jet boats all through the country looking for places to explore, hunt, fish,
    and to seek fun and adventure. Many of these jet boaters don't realize the potential damage they might be
    causing to spawning beds. There has been restrictions and outright laws forbidding vehicles from running in
    or even crossing fish bearing rivers and streams for many years for the same reason. It's only a matter of
    time before rivers like the Pitt will also have restrictions or outright bans....but if so, it should include the guides
    as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •