Thread: LML Cooler/Hanging space for rent?

LML Cooler/Hanging space for rent?

I am looking for places that "rent" out cooler hanging space for a quartered moose in the LML. Most butchers I ask say they are only allowed to hang their own meat(?), and I found "Country Meadows Meat" who said they might likely be full. Google comes up fairly thin... Does anyone have recommendations or advise beyond "build your own"?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: LML Cooler/Hanging space for rent?

Build your own, when I was running the meat cutter list a few years back I didn't find ONE member here or cutter on the list that would hang only. ONCE i asked the cutter in Barrier to hang one of my kids deer taken in youth season, I may as well have paid them to cut it, that would have been cheaper.

Either the season is early and they don't have their coolers on, the don't cut game any longer or they won't hang only.

It's tight but I've done elk and moose in a 23cu ft freezer and a Johnson controls thermostat unit. Can't hang the same but the meat cools quite well.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

This is not so much building a cooler... buy a used standup fridge (or two if you need to fit a moose) on craigslist and drill some hooks through the top.

There's one on craigslist in NV for $80, search 'fridge only'

And what would members here say is a fair price to hang a moose or deer on the lower mainland?

Not sure if it's still open but I've used page Creek cooler in matsqui a few years ago.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterguy View Post
    And what would members here say is a fair price to hang a moose or deer on the lower mainland?
    Ten bucks per hook per day. So four quarters hanging for three days would cost 120.00.

$120 for 3 days.......🤯 I guess when your stuck between a rock and hard place you don’t get an option.

This would be a great service to utilize if you butcher yourself and need a couple days after the hunt before taking care of the meat.
    I have never found one myself but would definitely consider using one if it was available.
    I'd say the $10 a hook per day is definitely in the ball park.
    Economy of scale definitely enters the picture with walk in coolers...I mean you don't just have operating cost to cover but maintenance on a refrigeration system is vital and and takes a skilled tradesman for anything beyond coil cleaning.
    Any moose I have taken in recent years involved an LEH and at least one partner so costs split a few ways gets more within range.
    I wander if this is something that would attract a number of clients and operate in rural BC as a viable fall/winter business?
    How fantastic would it be if your 7,10,14 day hunt did not have to be cut short to return home and butcher...deer, bear, rabbit I mean after you cut a moose tag BC still has a plentiful bounty of other choices.
    I'll be following this one as I too would use this service. Maybe not in the lower mainland per say but further North or East.
    Dreaming of September in this heat!

I picked up an old display cooler made by True. It’s about 40 cu ft and works great. I keep it in the garage and store my sausage and butcher equipment in it. When I kill something I just call the wife and have her turn it on. I can fit 4 moose quarters in ( very tight) but it works. I would look on the buy/sell sites and restaurant supply stores. There is a used dealer in maple ridge that has ads on CL.

The Moose is Loose travels to the early hunts up north with a 8 ft by 8ft by 7 high commercial cooler. Trips aren’t shortened by an early success. Easy to build and sits on a 16ft. flat deck along with two quads. When it’s not in the bush it sits in the shop for later hunts and is nic to know your coming home and your meat will be taken care of. PM for pics.