Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal Arrow diameter for hunting/ back yard shooting?

Re: Ideal Arrow diameter for hunting/ back yard shooting?

JPederson that sounds like a good arrow setup. Just typed a 500 grain arrow into the backcountry bow hunting calculator and it looks like I would be just under 270 for arrow speed at that weight. Seems like a good balance of mass and speed? What arrow speed were you trying to stay at with that setup? How are your pin gaps?

For fun
    I loaded a bunch on screw in fact weights into the back of an old hunter 300 and the reduction in noise sure was nice.
    Last edited by WWBC; 08-04-2020 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by WWBC View Post
    JPederson that sounds like a good arrow setup. Just typed a 500 grain arrow into the backcountry bow hunting calculator and it looks like I would be just under 270 for arrow speed at that weight. Seems like a good balance of mass and speed? What arrow speed were you trying to stay at with that setup? How are your pin gaps?

For fun
    I loaded a bunch on screw in fact weights into the back of an old hunter 300 and the reduction in noise sure was nice.
    I wasnt exactly trying for a particular speed. OT2 has me around 280 ish. My pin gaps arent too bad. I dont plan to hunt beyond 50 and the range I practice at only goes out to 70. I was putting in for an Elk draw so I wanted some arrows with a little more punch.

Not many arrows hold up well if you shoot groups, in my experience. try shooting different spots on the target, that seemed to greatly improve the arrow life. I shoot kill and stick arrows and they have held up well shooting groups and even better now that I stopped shooting groups.

I have no experience with the micro shafts, so can't help you there,

Quote Originally Posted by JPederson View Post
    I put together some Gold Tip Hunter XTs with 70gr inserts to add more FOC to my hunting arrows (500gr total weight). They seem more forgiving at longer ranges. I use the mobile version of OT2 for selecting the right spine. Penetration is really important. Speed is great but I think momentum has alot to offer in the penetration department.
    just did the same thing

100 grain brass inserts gold tip hunter Xtreme 300’s
    OT2 has me spines perfect at a 65 pounds and 28” arrows.

If I cut the arrow down 1” I can crank the poundage up a little more.
    Cool program. according to the app this should get me 275 FPS at 475 TOW.

Its amazing how easy it is to be under spined. If I want to shoot at 70 pounds at a similar arrow build I’d need 250 spine and more point weight or a longer arrow.

black eagle spartan's with 50gr insert up front. 65# draw / 29" DL and those arrows are flying at 274fps.
    These arrows are not micro. They have inserts...not outserts Was looking them up for more details as I already had the black eagle carnivores and saw that a 'youtube celebrity' elk hunter used them. He seems to kill a lot of elk ....

Had a shitty shot when I was dialing in my new sight and it penetrated through one 2x4 and halfway into the next 2x4 . That was at 50yds.

I shoot aluminium Easton XX75’s. Great arrows haven’t let me down
    since 1982!

Trout seeker is that a target shaft? Haven’t seen our much of aluminum outside of target archery.

Victory Vforce are a very durable arrow. They are reasonably priced and seem to hold up well. Specs are good and you can get them in .001 straightness

Quote Originally Posted by troutseeker View Post
    I shoot aluminium Easton XX75’s. Great arrows haven’t let me down
    since 1982!
    Do you have any inserts for them? I'm rebuilding my buddies old set up, he has those arrows. I need 6 inserts and then to re fletch all his arrows.

Ok, here my thoughts, as an arrow builder for many people these days I've made some conclusions and some assumptions haha. Goldtip arrows are like home depot power tools, not bad and will do what most people want from them. Easton Axis arrows are like Honda Civics and can be used in most regular shooting situations. I've shot Eastons, BlackEagles, Carbon Express, Goldtip and a few others. They all have some nice arrows in their lineup I'm sure, however I can say, Victory Arrows are by far the most consistent, straightest, best coated shafts around. The newTL Shok outserts are amazing(sorry ethics) and should have some more weight options soon.
    The small diameter shaft is less affected by wind, less resistance while passing through an animal and pulling from a target. You definitely get what you pay for, as the VAP TKO"S and VAP SS's are not cheap. They have multiple straightness options available and most times if cutting more than an inch off the shaft, the .003's can spins as good as the .001's.