Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal Arrow diameter for hunting/ back yard shooting?

Ideal Arrow diameter for hunting/ back yard shooting?

So I just broke my second last victory Vap arrow and will soon be in need of a fresh half dozen arrows.

The Vaps shot well except the inserts have a tendency to bend and don’t stand up to shooting groups very well.

Thinking that maybe a standard size shaft with pin nocks might be a better choice for durability. However, I’m concerned that I’ll miss out on the extra Hunting performance(?) of the micro diameter.

Are micro’s worth the extra hassle and cost or are they all hype?
    What’s a good all round arrow for hunting that will take some back yard abuse?

Any recommendations would be great.

shooting a prime black 5, 65lbs @ 28.5”

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ideal Arrow diameter for hunting/ back yard shooting?

I dont get the whole micro hype. A well built standard diameter arrow will do everything you need and will be more durable. I have been through Gold Tips, Black Eagles and now onto Maxima Reds. I would say the GT Hunters were the most durable, Black Eagle Carnivores were garbage and I haven't put the Maxima Reds together yet.

I see Big Game Archery in Abbotsford is advertising “red trail arrows”. Not much info on the web about them, I wonder if they’re any good.

The gold tip Hunter was my go to before shooting the Vap’s. Great arrows

Quote Originally Posted by WWBC View Post
    I see Big Game Archery in Abbotsford is advertising “red trail arrows”. Not much info on the web about them, I wonder if they’re any good.

The gold tip Hunter was my go to before shooting the Vap’s. Great arrows
    I know a few people who have had good luck with Wayne's arrows. I wouldn't count them out either.

I swear by Gold Tip ProHunters. Super durable and very consistent and straight. Pricey though...
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Thanks for the reply’s

Thinking the GT hunters will be the arrow of choice. Probably drop down a spine and get some 100 grain Brass.
    inserts. Maybe 50 grain aluminum and build up weight with fact weights so I don’t end up under spined

I’m trying the 5mm Easton axis arrows this year. From what I’ve read the smaller diameter is better in wind but you can still use regular sized heads etc. Apparently they are the most consistent out of the box for spine and weight.

dont be hyped up on weight.
    Lighter weight usually means lighter spine.
    Shoot an arrow that is properly spined for the draw weight and broadhead/target tip you are using.
    I had a buddy thinking the way you are and it nearly cost him his left thumb and index finger as on release the arrow shattered and splinteed into his hand
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail View Post
    dont be hyped up on weight.
    Lighter weight usually means lighter spine.
    Shoot an arrow that is properly spined for the draw weight and broadhead/target tip you are using.
    Very good point.
    I’m shooting 340 spine right now with 100 grain points and they fly well. However, If I put 125 grain points in those same arrows the spine acts soft and arrow group poorly. Big difference a few grains can make. That would be scary to have an arrow explode on the string!

If anything I’d want a heavier arrow ( 450 grains) still relatively good speed and a bit more momentum.

I put together some Gold Tip Hunter XTs with 70gr inserts to add more FOC to my hunting arrows (500gr total weight). They seem more forgiving at longer ranges. I use the mobile version of OT2 for selecting the right spine. Penetration is really important. Speed is great but I think momentum has alot to offer in the penetration department.