Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14' Solo fishing/hunting boat

14' Solo fishing/hunting boat

Took delivery today of a little 14' Lund SSV powered by Mercury 4 strokes. I wanted a small boat that I could handle solo for lakes, big rivers and inshore fishing and possibly for waterfowl in Georgia Strait.

LA Marine in Port Alberni put it together. They are great people. They sent the rails out for the welding.

The two outboards are steering linked so I can use the main as a rudder from my seat when trolling with the kicker and there are fuel lines and valves from the external gas tank to both. I've never had a fuel injected outboard like the 25 but I will be sure not to run it dry of fuel like the smaller carburated 5 HP kicker.

I went with the Mercury 5 HP Sail kicker because of its long shaft and more importantly, its ability to charge my battery while I troll. Hopefully it'll troll down to 1 MPH but if it doesn't I'll drag a 5 gallon pail behind me.

They said that regular unleaded is fine but over winter to put some seafoam into the gas.

It's getting crowded back there but I had them install an extendable re-boarding ladder on the starboard side of the transom.

They said that regular unleaded is fine but over winter to put some seafoam into the gas.

It has a 10 lb Danforth anchor with 10' of chain and 100' of braided nylon so I could anchor in up to 20' of water in windy conditions. The anchor rode is running through a fixed, lockable Scotty mount on the bow.

I asked for oars and because it's a split bench at the rowers station, they made up a small, removable cover that I can use when I want to row. I may mount a cutting board on it so that I can use it to clean fish as well.

It has navigation lights at the bow and stern so I can run it at night if I have to. I am keeping my Fenix HP25R headlamp in the boats dry bag along with the safety gear. It's 1000 lumens and should be enough if I get caught out after dark.

I have never used downriggers (Scotty 1106) nor a fishfinder/chart plotter (7" Garmin Echomap UHD) so there is going to be a bunch of head shaking on my part for the next couple of weeks.

I've run it a couple of times and it works great!

I'm looking at it as a versatile small boat plus in an emergency like a sinking or floods it could be used to try to help out.

If the big earthquake hits, I could use it to cross Georgia Strait and get to the Lower Mainland if I choose my weather carefully.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 14' Solo fishing/hunting boat

Beautiful boat! Thanks for the inspiration.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Awesome Boat Motor Combo ! Great Fishing Boat ! RJ

Yes - I like.

That is a beautiful combo. Nicely done! Great idea with the collapsing ladder on the back. Trying to convince my wife on a setup similar to that (no where near as nice as that though!) and she was worried about trying to get back into it if she goes for a swim. That’s an excellent solution! Thanks for the ideas

Nice boat!

Very nice boat.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Beauty boat! Nice setup for sure. I miss my old 14' Lund, they are great boats.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Great looking boat!
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I have a older model Lund SSV14. I run a 20 merc on it (2016) but have it in my mind to up grad to a 25 with power trim/lift.
    That said. I have to ask the logic of the forward gunnel rail? That seems cumbersome and increases the difficulty of entering the boat from the forward sides or bow.
    I like the stern ladder
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Great lookin’ little Lund! I really like the job they did on the rails but I may have looked at splitting the front one to make it easier to get in the boat. The 25hp 4-stroke should push it along quite nice and burn nothing for fuel.

I had a SSV-14 quite a few years ago now with a 3-Cyl oil injected 30hp Yamaha 2-stroke on it. I caught a lot of big Springs out of it fishing Nootka back when getting a Spring in the 30’s was a daily occurrence. I spent a few dozen days fishing Bajo Reef out of it too...

Ive had a dozen boats up to 25’ since then but I still like the simplicity of fishing out of a 14’ Lund. I moved up to a SSV-16 and found it couldn’t take the same water as the 14 could. The 14 footer was the perfect length and the bow came up faster when trolling so that you never took any water over the front.