Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping in the back of your truck?

Re: Sleeping in the back of your truck?

I had a little higher canopy, put 3/4" sheet ply across on the top of side of box so all the gear and stuff could go underneath. Worked out great...put the meat under the bunk so could sleep on top on way home. Just be sure to have an air space between bed of truck and meat as exhaust can get pretty warm.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I've had people over 6 ft and myself sleep in the cab of my 1981-1987-1994, and 2005 Nissan Frontiers
    quite comfortably while out hunting and fishing rather than set up a tent. Remove the headrest, move the
    seats all the way down and back, stuff the foot wells with duffel bags etc, lay your clothes in the dip of the seat,
    put your sleeping bag onto the seat and get in. During mosquito season I would secure netting with the closed
    doors and leave a window partly open. Bit of a squirming session getting dressed inside but if it's not raining it
    can be done outside the door and you're ready to go.

I just lay out my thermarest and sleeping bag and sack out in the box of my f350 if the canopy is on. If not, flip the back seat up and sleep on the floor in the back. If I'm feeling ritzy, I'll use a double sized air mattress.
    Did the same in my toyota. A 6' box with a toolbox in it, has enough room for a 6' tall guy to sleep corner to corner. Flatten one back seat out in the 4runner and do the same.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I do it all the time, especially when I'm scouting new areas.
    If you are set for a specific area then it makes sense to have a tent/camper etc.
    But otherwise it's not necessary.
    I don't really shoot for comfort, but a good night sleep is essential.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Some pretty cool set ups here.
    a canopy isn’t in the budget this year. So if it’s not raining I’m probably just throw my thermarest and bag in the back. Still thinking of picking up a bedroll. I seen a guy with one last year, he kept it rolled up in the box. Seemed nice having everything together and kept his sleeping bag and mat clean. Was water proof too. Not cheap though. My thermorest MondoKing should be here today too, I hope it’s a comfy as it looks. Definitely don’t want to pack it though at almost 5lbs.

I have a 19 Silverado. A new canopy is just under $3000!!!! Crazy what things cost these days. I slept in a tent last weekend for the first time in a few years. It was great but it was dry out. Rain can make things shitty pretty quickly.

I'm not sure what kind of sorcery BRvalley uses, but there's no way i could leave 2 smokies out in that proximity to my chocolate lab! Thanks for sharing the pics though.

I bought a double sized memory foam mattress topper that fits between the wheel wells in the back of my truck. I sleep comfortably in there (5'9'') but hadn't considered what I'd do if I needed to toss an animal in the back too. I'd probably hang the deer overnight, pack up the truck in the morning, then make my way home I guess.

I do this and I have it pretty close to perfected if I must brag....

Build a plywood shelf over the wheel wells that covets the entire bed of the truck. Toss in a full size mattress topper or egg crate foam mattress, whatever you can find. Make sure your canopy is carpet lined and fill in any cracks in your tailgate with a rubber tailgate sealing gssket. This will keep yout shit clean from dust from driving around.

After you have your plywood platform bed set up, find some long totes with wheels that will slide under the platform.

The key to using the set up effectively is to stay organized. Get everything you can under the bed and keep the coolers and everything else in the back seat.

Try to keep your sleeping area clear so you can keep mobile without having to set up your bed and move everything at the end of the day or in the morning.

You can buy peices of velcro and velcro shit to the carpetted liner of the canopy too.

I have lights and a usb fan that I strap to the carpet roof.

If you end up reaaaalllly liking this set up, you can look into getting a Deep cycle battery to run your electronics and run a heated mattress pad off of without having to worry about killing your starter battery. Then charge your back up battery with your alternator when you drive around.

I absolutely love this set up. The security of the hard shell canopy and access to some creature comforts when Im out solo help me feel comfortable and keep me going longer.

Me and my wife sleep in the Jeep TJ right in the front seats. We just put them as far back as they go and put a support under our legs. It works great for us little people

Best gun you have to keep in the back of the truck when you're sleeping in it?

Either this:

Or this:

Last edited by geologist; 08-01-2020 at 01:39 PM.