Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeping in the back of your truck?

Re: Sleeping in the back of your truck?

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    If you're hunting the same general area on your trip why not set up tent?? I find a 2-3 man tent perfect for one guy and all your gear. It takes LESS than 10 minutes to set one up and your truck box is pretty much empty for driving to where you're going to hunt. back.
    Because sometimes it's nice just to wake up, hop in the truck and drive. Then if you end up in another spot, you're ready to rock n roll

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    If you keep all the stuff in the back of your truck at all times where are you going to put a dead animal?
    There's alway a way no matter the setup

I've been doing it since I got my first truck in 1992.

I put down two or even three of those cheap blue foamies, plus a Thermarest.

Most of my stuff I pile in Rubbermaid boxes on the other side from me plus at night I put my food containers in the cab.

A few weatherproof odds and ends I put under the truck if it's going to rain.

Just buy a 13th gen F-150 crew cab lift up the back seats and sleep on the floor

Lots of week at a time trips in the back of a truck. When I was m u c h younger my 1976 short box was quite tall I'd just sleep under it.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I sleep in my truck bed all the time. Have a rubber bed liner. Thermorest on top. Build a 2' wide shelf across the front of your canopy for your gear at night. Sleeping bag appropriate for the weather. I have a small folding table that I store on this shelf when traveling. Fold out chair, jet boil and lantern. Good to go. I have a Tule like roof box for shovel, tire chains, axe, chainsaw, ropes etc. keeps it out of the bed and makes setting up for sleeping easier. Tarp if weather is crap.

Been sleeping in a Suburban for decades. We are on our third. Eight foot plus bed holds a queen size inflatable. Moisture is an issue so windows left open. Room for coolers and food at the foot of the mattress. Great for a couple of days but beyond that....

I’ve slept in the back of every truck I’ve ever had..
    Always had a canopy, most were dry,none were insulated .
    A foamie mattress and one of several different sleeping bags depending the weather.
    My 97 Dodge was a long box so lots of room.
    Slept at Pateros Washington in the hills after helping a friend clean up after he lost his house to a forest fire.
    Just me and the coyotes, a pretty neat experience.
    My current truck is a short box,but plenty big enough as I’m only 5’10”.

I would get an insulated tarp, they are around 100 bucks, home hardware has them.
    I would put it over my canopy if I had one, if not, in the past, I have brought a few 2x4's along and an impact driver and screws and made some pretty good shelters that worked in some real bad rainstorms.

Always Toyota extended cab 4x4 pickups with plain flat roof canopies.

I make a 6' long, 30" wide from 1/2" plywood on 6" or 8" high legs. I can store some gear under it. I put a foamie or a Thermarest pad on it and then a sleeping bag rated for the conditions.

My dog sleeps beside me.

The best hunting trips i had was when we had our truck and canopy. Just get a jysk 6" foam mattress. The trick is just dont take along alot of extra crap with you. A little stove and soup. Or if it just for a couple days a small cooler and some sandwich meat and buns.
    Our setup was pretty easy we would just have to take the spare tire out and like 4 jerry cans out of the back of the truck every night but besides that is was a fun way to camp and hunt.
    We always lucked out it never really ever rained hard out.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.