Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 6-20 and 6-26 shut down by FN due to COVID

6-20 and 6-26 shut down by FN due to COVID

Seems the Tahltan will be blocking access points in these 2 MU's. There was a post from TCH (Tahltan Central Government) online stating they will be closing all resident hunting of these two MU's. They cited COVID-19 issues. I have shots of the post but loading them on here is a pain.

Gonna suck for you Spatsizi hunters. I'm sorry for everyone. Truly.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 6-20 and 6-26 shut down by FN due to COVID

More than Spatsizi...6-20 through 6-26 apparently.

Dear Tahltan Nation and BC’s Resident Hunter Community,

The Tahltan Nation, led by the Tahltan Central Government (TCG) and its Wildlife Department, are shutting down several hunting and recreational activity access points, including the Stikine Bridge. These areas will be under robust video surveillance and will have gatekeepers on-site. Several other popular access roads are no longer functional following various natural causes (ie. landslides). Everything north of the Bob Quinn area (110km south of Iskut), including hunting zones 6-20 to 6-26, are off limits to visitors during the hunting season.
    The Tahltan Nation is expecting the Province to provide additional RCMP and Conservation Officers throughout Tahltan Territory so we can avoid unnecessary confrontations with others. Prior to making these decisions, I spoke to members of the Province, British Columbia Wildlife Federation, neighbouring First Nations, local business owners and others. These actions taken by the TCG should not come as a surprise to anyone; our messaging regarding COVID-19 has been consistent for several months. We have a responsibility to keep our people and communities safe during these unprecedented times.
    From the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic the Tahltan Nation and the TCG have worked to keep non-locals, including Tahltan members, away from our communities of Dease Lake, Iskut, and Telegraph Creek and the surrounding areas. We have gated our communities, continuously communicated our policies and restrictions publicly, supported programs to encourage Tahltans to refrain from returning to our homelands for fish camp, and worked diligently with the Province, Industry partners and others to keep our communities and people safe.
    Sadly, we have also cancelled all our cultural and political gatherings and have not been able to come together in times of celebration or grieving when we have lost our loved ones. This has been particularly difficult on everyone.
    Unfortunately, many individuals from various jurisdictions, including some urban Tahltan members, have ignored our respectful requests and they continue to unnecessarily put our local Tahltan communities at risk. The Province has supported us in the background, but they have failed to put the necessary enforcement measures in place to keep our communities safe. We have limited healthcare infrastructure throughout Tahltan Territory and, even worse, the Province has a terrible track record with emergency medical evacuations from Tahltan Territory. In fact, recently - in the middle of this COVID-19 pandemic - one of our Elders had to be driven by family members to Prince Rupert (10 hour drive from Telegraph Creek) for an emergency surgery because the Province was unable to secure a timely evacuation. People with serious medical issues have died due to our isolation and inadequate medical support. We have had enough with this negligence and it has to be addressed immediately, both for locals and those that visit and travel through Tahltan Territory.
    I will appreciate those who share this Facebook post and, more importantly, please be mindful and respectful of the requests of the TCG and the Tahltan Nation. Many of us enjoy recreation, hunting and fishing, but this year we must focus on safety and the well being of others. Thank you to all those individuals and partners that continue to support the Tahltan Nation, and to everyone throughout British Columbia, Canada and the World who continue to put themselves at risk to help our society function and get through these challenging times. We love you and appreciate you so much

Thx Limp. Couldnt figure it out.

There's more, but that's the important part...guess I'll be calling BCYukon air to see what's up. Was flying out the 16th.

I wouldn’t be changing any of my plans... no point folding like a cheap lawn chair. Can’t stop a Canadian from moving freely through Canada.

Not changing anything yet. Just want to see what BCYukon's take on it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    I wouldn’t be changing any of my plans... no point folding like a cheap lawn chair. Can’t stop a Canadian from moving freely through Canada.

People with serious medical issues have died due to our isolation and inadequate medical support. We have had enough with this negligence and it has to be addressed immediately

Whats wrong with traditional medicine?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    people with serious medical issues have died due to our isolation and inadequate medical support. We have had enough with this negligence and it has to be addressed immediately

whats wrong with traditional medicine?
    loooool! :d

"Can’t stop a Canadian from moving freely through Canada. "

It's like FN now means Foreign Nation
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Hmm seems not many will be entering oNE of the rez" flying into a remote lake to harvest a BC moose, ram etc will not affect any of their folks..zero chance of interactions at these remote lakes.
    I DO agree that they have the right to protect their members on their reserves..not many hunters entering their reserves
    srupp