Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanning bear hide at home

Tanning bear hide at home

Hi, long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I am planning on going on my first ever hunt soon, as I missed the spring bear season due to CORE courses being delayed from COVID. I have a blackbear and a mule deer tag. I was planning on taking the hide as well if I manage to harvest a blackbear. I have been looking into tanning the hide myself at home for a rug or wall hanging and it seems like every video or guide I see is slightly different. I also live in an apartment so will be doing this indoors.

Does anyone have a method they prefer or any tips they would like to share?

also somewhat related: is it safe to drink bear blood? I watched Red Dawn last night...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tanning bear hide at home

What are you smoking? Drink bear blood.
    First question have you ever felt how course a bear hair hide is?
    2nd get it done by a guy with a 45 gallon bucket of formaldehyde. If its on the wall who cares how stiff the leather is.
    My last 5 bears, the hide fed the ravens from the 4 inches of fat on the hides. Then the wolves came along and ate the hides. All of it.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Thanks for the stern warning, any idea what % concentration of formaldehyde will be adequate?

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

I am afraid, your Landlord wont be your Friend much longer !

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

True, whenever I have been around formaldehyde I can still smell it in my nostrils hours later. acid-based pickling methods + commercially available tanning rub seem to be popular methods.

The trick with drinking bear blood is you have to drink all of it....and the best form is to suck it out of the rump. When you tan your hide in the apartment, just let the flesh rot off for the first week or so, then use a strong formaldehyde solution.

Of course I’m totally kidding....as I assume you are. Don’t do any of the things you, or I mentioned other than the hunting. And if you weren’t kidding, rethink the hunting as well.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Are you trying to tell me it's a bad idea to tan a hide in my apartment and let it stretch on my balcony for the whole neighbourhood to see?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMango View Post
    Are you trying to tell me it's a bad idea to tan a hide in my apartment and let it stretch on my balcony for the whole neighbourhood to see?
    Maybe start with some stray cats and see if everyone is accepting, and then move onto larger game.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Please take videos of what ever you do! And post them in this thread. Know any people who work at embalming?
    Now I have to search for formaldehyde.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

If your planning on hunting bears i recommend being familiar with tuberculosis.